100% Rice Bran Oil & Manuka Honey soap problems

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

btz

Reaction score
Hi there,

I wanted to make a gentle soap, so I made an experimental 100% rice bran oil with manuka honey on saturday, this is the recipe:

300 gr rice bran oil
35.9 gr lye
60 gr water (to be mixed with lye)
3/4 tablespoon Manuka Honey
22 gr water (to be mixed with honey)

I mixed the water & lye and then dilute the honey in slightly warmed water. Then I mixed the oil and lye solution first at around 95F because honey can cause overheat. I stirred it for a while and then added the diluted honey. It took a while, but I finally managed a thin trace. I had some solidified mushy bits in it too though, maybe because I didn't mixed the bottom part well enough. I tried my best to mushed the solidified bit back to the batter.

I pour the soap into a mold lightly covered with baby oil for easy removal. I put a cover on it and leave it overnight. I check it from time to time though, and I notice that it didn't even entered the gel state but it has a lovely caramel honey color. 24 hours went by with no problem and then I take the covering off.

Around 36 hours, I saw that there were brown/golden liquid pooling on top of the soap, not much, I though it was just the honey drawing moisture so I wipe it off. We have quite high humidity here.

Around 48 hours, I saw more of those brown liquid, very thinly layer underneath and around the soap (my soap mold is transparent). Again I drained it off and then took the soap out of the mold and cut it. It was still a bit soft (right now, I think the soap is at the consistency of very dense cheesecake, maybe a little bit more) and I saw some white gel like substance inside the soap (pic attached): http://postimg.org/image/g8ol9thod/

Can anyone tell me whether the soap is alright? Is the white gel thingie lye pocket? I have not try zap testing because I heard without gel phase it took longer for the lye to saponified. I tried poking the white gel, but nothing coming out of it.

Do I put too much honey in? I am sure that the brown liquid is not oil, because I mixed it with water and it didn't separate, it even produce bubble when I swirled them around. So I thought it was glycerin.

Right now, the cut soap is still 'producing' brown liquid as seen on the picture (the tissue underneath is wet). Will it continue to do that during the whole curing time?

FYI, I didn't use stick blender, but I use whisk that can spin on its own if you push it down like this http://www.themiraclewhisk.com/. It surprisingly mixed things really well.

If anyone can help me with this, I'd be grateful.

I would cut into the white pocket and do a zap test. It sounds to me like you didn't have a good trace. If I were you, I would chop up the soap while it is soft and rebatch.

I throw away the liquid though, if I re-batch will the calculation be off? I'll try zap testing the white part later. Or I might just try to cure the soap for 6 weeks and see what happened.

From what I saw this morning, the soap had slow down 'producing' the liquid. It was still there, but not much compare to the last 2 days.

Just zap tested the soap. No zap at all, not from the white gel part or the normal part. And the soap is quite hard too right now. Not mushy at all. The white part is not caving in btw, and it has a slightly softer consistency than the rest of the soap.

Yay, that's great to hear :). Hopefully this soap won't give me more problem.

It will probably need a long cure time as RBO is liquid with mostly mono and unsaturated fatty acids. I imagine the end result similar to pure olive oil (castille) soap. Please let us know what your results are after the cure?

Will do that :). Right now I'm still worried about the white gel part though, I hope it won't turned into DOS.

1 week mark, I tried washing my hand with the soap.

The soap is quite hard, there are quite a lot of bubble. My hand feels clean but after a while, there was slightly burn sensation. I guess the lye is still strong. Will try this again at 4-6 weeks. There are also a faint smell of something, like cooked beans? No smell on the skin after washing though. It was already there since I first mixed the soap, I hope it will also be gone in time.

BTW, the darker color on the soap was my phone's shadow, not partial gel :D

Hi btz

Just wondering how this soap turned out for you in the end as I am also consudering a 100% RBO soap.

I heard that ricebran oil has a short shelf life? Plus this one contains 100% of it. Gotta use them fast. Hehe

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back