🍫: Lost in Translation [Help from English native speakers needed]

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ResolvableOwl

Notorious Lyear
Reaction score
For a non-soapy project (yes, such things purportedly exist). I'm on the search how those with English as their main language call this part of a chocolate bar:

schokoladenrippe.jpg

How do you call it? I. e. after snapping off one row of pieces along the score marks of a larger, rectangular/square chocolate bar („Tafel“ in German).
In German (at least the dialect of my region), we call it „Rippe“ (literally “rib”). In other regions, it is called „Riegel“ (“bar”), but this is unfortunately an ambiguous term: of course, standalone finger-shaped chocolate bars (usually with filling, often without score marks) are a thing here too; but I don't mean these, but specifically those that have been broken off a larger bar of chocolate (and have still sub-divisions into individual pieces of chocolate).

I've searched translation forums and found nothing that makes me happy, rather helplessness as well [1] [2]. Do English/Americans always eat chocolate (and distribute it to their children) piece-wise (or bar-wise), so that they don't need a word for this part?

I'm really at a loss.

@ResolvableOwl I agree with @AliOop, “Americans” would simply refer to that as a “piece” of a chocolate bar 🍫. Hershey’s has always referred to their chocolate bars with” division” marks as done simply for ease of sharing. When reading one of my US cookbooks with a recipe calling for bakers chocolate, it calls for so many oz of grated or finely chopped baking chocolate.

Do English/Americans always eat chocolate (and distribute it to their children) piece-wise (or bar-wise), so that they don't need a word for this part?
So I think part of the problem is that most American chocolate bars are not just solid chocolate bars that are divided like that. I mean I can only think of Hershey bars that are divided like that. (This is not counting specialty chocolates like Lindt)

(and distribute it to their children) piece-wise (or bar-wise), so that they don't need a word for this part?
We are suppossed to share with our children?!?!?! I think not! I hide my chocolate. We just made smores and the kids asked for a "piece of chocolate" when assembling their smore... but I've never really thought about it so in depth before.

Found this:

A Pip

A pip is a piece of chocolate, like a piece of a Hershey’s candy bar can be considered a pip. Speaking of Hershey, Milton S. Hershey and his wife were supposed to travel on the Titanic but changed their plans at the last minute and the rest is history.

Read More: 5 Little Known Chocolate Facts That Will Blow Your Mind | 5 Little Known Chocolate Facts That Will Blow Your Mind

Here’s a link where Baker’s mentions the squares in their baking chocolate. As far as I am aware, this is the most common unsweetend bar type baking chocolate found in the baking section of grocery stores in the Northeast and Mid-Atlantic regions of the US. It’s been around for as long as I can remember, which is more than 60 years.

I think most English speakers would know what you meant (in context) if you referred to breaking off a row of chocolate, and if you divided it further, each of the sections would be a square of chocolate.

Not a native English speaker here haha but our version of English (my family's I mean) also calls that a row and when you break off a piece we call it a bite.

As in "No son, you can't have the whole row coz it's mine but I can give you a bite." LOL

For a non-soapy project (yes, such things purportedly exist). I'm on the search how those with English as their main language call this part of a chocolate bar:

View attachment 60217

How do you call it? I. e. after snapping off one row of pieces along the score marks of a larger, rectangular/square chocolate bar („Tafel“ in German).
In German (at least the dialect of my region), we call it „Rippe“ (literally “rib”). In other regions, it is called „Riegel“ (“bar”), but this is unfortunately an ambiguous term: of course, standalone finger-shaped chocolate bars (usually with filling, often without score marks) are a thing here too; but I don't mean these, but specifically those that have been broken off a larger bar of chocolate (and have still sub-divisions into individual pieces of chocolate).

I've searched translation forums and found nothing that makes me happy, rather helplessness as well [1] [2]. Do English/Americans always eat chocolate (and distribute it to their children) piece-wise (or bar-wise), so that they don't need a word for this part?

I'm really at a loss.
6B4293E0-E371-490E-B60E-6CD5D4AB3514.jpeg

According to me 😁:
This is a BAR of chocolate divided into ROWS of chocolate, and each row has 5 PIECES of chocolate. The size of the piece is very important in the 55%, 45%, and classic milk chocolate because a piece can be broken off and left to melt slowly in the mouth. I have been buying these in bulk and consuming at least a half bar a day during the pandemic. Somehow my weight has remained stable, but I don’t know why.

8BA616EC-CE67-4196-B583-4FB6A4856137.jpeg
This is a BAR of chocolate made up of SQUARES. I would not refer to them as pieces because they do not fit conveniently into my mouth. I have to break each square into quarters to let a piece melt in my mouth. Lindt produces its darker chocolates in squares.

A few months ago Lindt introduced a 55% chocolate bar that is a wonderful blend of milk chocolate with dark chocolate that melts in my mouth. Suddenly it disappeared from the local shelves and now all I can find is 45%. It’s good, but not nearly as satisfying as 55%. The darker chocolates, 60% and higher, don’t melt in the mouth as well.

Fun fact: From the History Channel series on the Food That Built America, I learned that Hershey’s milk chocolate has a sour milk taste that gives it the trademark flavor.

Must stop taking pictures of chocolate and go eat some!

Hah! Help yourself and invent a word for it if your language has none yet. That's the right spirit!

You're awfully right that dark milk chocolate has something intriguing to it. The milk fat makes the melting “rounder” than pure cocoa butter, but is still one of the very few oils that doesn't destroy the texture of the CB. Too bad they delisted that 55% chocolate (maybe you just ate too little of it? 🤣). In recent years, the possibilities of 50…60% milk chocolate have widened.
But – if you don't mind to get dirty fingers, you might just make your own. Melt together ordinary milk chocolate and dark chocolate, temper it (yes, it's as annoying as it sounds, you'll really need to be pedantic about temperature), and cast it into the moulds of your choice. Have a “test sample”, adjust the recipe if needed, and repeat.

But I did my best to eat as much 55% chocolate as possible! I think it may not have sold well enough because people were clueless about how good it is.

Love the suggestion about mixing milk and dark chocolate. In fact, I love it so much that I had already mixed the two for my Butter caramels covered with chocolate and topped with Brittany salt but I made for a friend who liked milk chocolate. Right after that I saw the 55% chocolate and said to myself, I must try it! I used it on my next batch of chocolate covered butter caramels with salt from Brittany. 😁

It's just a 'row'.

As to how we eat said chocolate...it depends on a number of factors. Like...how many children? Do I have a large bar (32 pieces) or a standard bar (12 pieces)? How bad was the date or day that I had? Is it my time of month? Is my husband being a butthead?

To use it in context, I would say “a square of chocolate” assuming it was a Hersheys bar...even though a hersheys bar isnt really made of square pieces lol. Or maybe “a piece of a hershey bar”.

A couple of years ago I had a chocolate edible, and I remember asking for a square of it, and she gave me a “half a square”…cause i really never partake and she was my friend who knew my tolerance lol. Which by the way, i took it home with me and promptly fell asleep after eating it LOL.

Back