Opinion on this recipe?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kittish

Enthusiastic Newbie
Reaction score
This is the recipe I'm contemplating using for my next batch of soap. Planning on cold process and stick the mold in the fridge while it hardens to prevent gel.

Olive oil 50%
Cocoa butter 15%
Avocado oil 15%
Shea butter 10%
Coconut oil 10%

Mixing for 7% SF.

I'm okay with the soap not having lots of big, fluffy bubbles.

With that much butters, I would increase the coconut a bit. Try cocoa butter at 10% and coconut at 15%. Do you have any castor oil? If you do, add it at 5%. I'd take the 5% away from the OO.

IMO, you don't need both shea butter and cocoa butter. I would probably use 10% shea butter and divide the other 15% as 5% Castor and 10% more coconut oil.

I like it! Personally I would make two changes: lower the superfat and add castor oil, both for the sake of bubbles. I don't use castor in most recipes but I think it works wonders when using a high percentage of butters. Also, it will need a very long cure - 9 months or so. (For my personal tastes, any soap with 40% + OO needs a super lengthy cure). A little extra CO might be nice too ;)

I would add 5% castor oil and agree on upping the Coconut a bit. I would also decide between Shea or cocoa butter. I don't generally use them both. That would be a personal choice to try it.

Back