Additives from the garden - What do you grow to add to your soaps?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RogueRose

Reaction score
I've been contemplating planting some herbs such as rosemary for infusing in oil, not just for soap but also for its great taste in OO (rosemary, garlic, basil & oregano infused OO is the best on fresh bread!).

Do any of you grow items specifically for soaping?

I originally planted my calendula to attract more pollinators, but hopefully it's going to come in pretty handy making soap and lotion bars

Last edited:
I use my dried lavender to make pencil lines, and have also ground it up and stirred it into HP soap, which makes it gently scrubby.

I grow roses to harvest for rosewater, and lavender for multiple purposes. I'm lucky enough to live in the Deep South so we have a long growing season and while most of our garden is for food, I do plant extra heirloom tomatoes and cucumbers to puree and use in soaps. Whatever I can't use fresh, I freeze in icecube trays to have available in the winter months. I also keep big pots of lemongrass just outside of our doors...helps keep flies and mosquitoes from getting inside and smells lovely, not to mention being gorgeous! These plants grow like crazy, and you can dig out a root (along with the leaves) anytime you want to make Thai food without hurting the plant...I haven't used it in soap yet, but I'm thinking I might play around with it in my FO-scented 'Lemongrass Sage' soap.
As for other herbs...I grow rosemary, sage, oregano, mint, and both sweet and Thai basil year-round for cooking, but I don't use any of these in soap.

I grow many herbs for many uses in my gardens. I also allow a few "weeds" to grow in my lawn and along the edges. Burdock, Plantain and Yarrow are all through my lawn and meadow.

I also grow several Comfrey plants for soaps, salve balm, infused oil and what I don't use goes into the compost and I also make tea with it for fertilizer.

I grow rosemary for its culinary uses, but I was going to try to infuse some oils for soaps to try.

I also grow Calendula because I love it and for its properties as well. Chamomile, echinacea, mints, bee balm, borage, lemon balm, catnip.

I'm sure there are ones I'm forgetting...I need to sniff more rosemary!! Helps boost the short term memory. :razz:

Latest posts

Back