Size of soap bars??

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kmarvel

Reaction score
I was wondering what are the dimensions or size of everyones soap. Mine seem a little on the small size.

there are quite a few sizes out there , but the most common ones are along the sizes of the molds you find selling online , give or take a half inch here or there . and the individual bar molds as well . the weight may vary as well as the thickness of the bar . it all comes down to you and what your customers like. just look online and you will see that there are all types

Last edited:
Judah, I am using a 5 lb mold my brother in law made me. But the bars are only about 2" x 2" x 1". Not very big.

where did he get the measurement from ? you can cut them bigger but you will not be getting much bars out of it. there is something missing out of that measurement you give me because : L x W x H x .40 = volume / so if i have a mold that is 10in x 3in x 3in x .40 then that equals 36oz which comes to 2.25 pound mold.... 2x2x1[x.40] is not giving me the mold measurement of a 5 pound mold. a 5lb mold measurement is somewhere in the neighborhood of 16in x 3.5in x 2.75in { give or take a 1/2 inch on W or H } which can give you about 16 bars give or take.
if i am mistaken in my understanding then let me know // look online for 5lb soap molds and you will see what i mean

just been thinking .... is your mold a upright / standing mold?

From the 5 lb mold I can get usually 17 bars cut 1" thick. They seem small and I can't charge someone $5 for a small bar like that.

I need something about 3 1/2" x 2 1/2" and 1 1/4" thick.

i have seen soap here in new york area that are smaller than mine that sells for $6-$8 in some stores in my area . what are some of the oils you use in your soap? i would say this : if you are not comfortable with the size mold you have then ask your brother- in - law to make another that is more up to specs, just explain that you want to be more competitive and uniformed to whats out there .
just a question : how did you come to $5 for a bar of soap/ for your pricing ?

I use two silicone loaf molds intended for baking - both give me soaps at 4" x 2.5" x 1.25". The only downside is that the end pieces are curved like the butt-end of a loaf of bread, rather than square. I keep the end pieces for myself and give away the inner pieces to friends and family. (I don't sell my soaps -- the best I can do is save the money I would have spent on presents.) :)

I find that everyone has their soap shape + size preferences. I tend to like fat bars or short and fat bars. Round soaps don't fit as well in my hand, and thin soaps melt more quickly.

From the 5 lb mold I can get usually 17 bars cut 1" thick. They seem small and I can't charge someone $5 for a small bar like that.

I need something about 3 1/2" x 2 1/2" and 1 1/4" thick.

Why are you charging $5? Cost x 4 = retail price. If that is $5 and you want to charge less, then you need to reduce your costs some.......................

Why are you charging $5? Cost x 4 = retail price. If that is $5 and you want to charge less, then you need to reduce your costs some.......................

I think we all use different formulas to determine price. Mine is cost per bar + Packaging + My labor cost X 35% = retail per bar. I use a different formula for wholesale.

Costs here includes materials (including packaging) and time. It is total cost of the bar, not just the oils and lye - that is what I always consider as 'costs'. "Price - costs = profit" only works if "costs" is actually all of the costs.

Cost (as defined above) x 2 is a fairly standard pricing formula for wholesale in many different industries. Wholesale x 2 is a fairly standard pricing formula for retail in many different industries.

While of course there are other options, the above gives at least a ball-park figure to consider and highlights any major issues.

EG,

Actually I thought it was a good round number. But when my bars are about 3.5oz I am reconsidering the price. I am selling quite a few of the 3.5oz bars for $4. But if I make a 4 oz bar, maybe $4.25 a bar.

My biggest bar is 6 oz. I sell for $6, I might be underpricing a bit. I'm going by other handmade soap in the area and they all seem to be fairly cheap. But you always have the ones that just do it for fun and don't make much of a profit making others look like they are over pricing. I try to get 3x for retail 2x for wholesale.

I currently have two molds, one is my small tester silicone mold, which makes about 2 lb batch, bars are about 3.5" x 3". I think length is 10", I might be off on the dimensions but I get 10 1" bars out of that one. My normal 5 lb mold is 3x3" and 19" length but I cut the bars anywhere from 1" to 2", depending on the formula. Like the bastile I think I actually cut less than 1" so it would cure faster and my 6 oz is 2". I get 10-19 bars depending on cut and usually about a bars worth is ends and if the ends are really ugly I obviously can't sell and either I use them or they go in the rebatch pile. I like the rebatch pile because then I can at least possibly get money out of that at some point (if they don't look like a rancid dump).

I also use molds that are 4 x 2 1/2 x 1 1/4. I got the molds at the dollar tree here for 1$ they are called drawer dividers. They will also work with or without lining if you don't want to line you can just sprints with mineral oil and they will come right out. Hope this helps.

EG,

Actually I thought it was a good round number. But when my bars are about 3.5oz I am reconsidering the price. I am selling quite a few of the 3.5oz bars for $4. But if I make a 4 oz bar, maybe $4.25 a bar.

interesting .... very interesting

Funny that soap I'm making is @3.5x 2.5 inch x 1.2 ish or 3-4 inch sq. x1inch but what I like to buy is big hunks 4x4x4"!!! Weird huh?

Kmarvel,
I've got multiple moulds. I'm a mould whore so what, it's an issue I get it. The only one I haven't tried yet is Pringles can. I can't wait to do that!!! I have a large flat cardboard tray I use as a mould that takes 5+ pounds of total soap. 5-6 gives me a 1 inch bar thick. So here's my random assortment of measurements I make:
3.5x2.5x7/8; 3.25sqx1in; 3.25x2.75x1.2(why this one isn't square is beyond me, last 2 use same mould diff recipe); 3.25x2x1; 4.5x2.75x3/4
Here's pics of last two for perspective. ImageUploadedBySoap Making1404432371.934215.jpgImageUploadedBySoap Making1404432388.494226.jpg
I have ADHD. I have no concept of consistency. That's why all my recipes are written down & photographed ;)

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back