hdpe molds

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

seven

Reaction score
those of you with hdpe molds, what would you recommend to prevent the soap sticking? i'm thinking mineral oil?

and what would be the best procedure to unmold?

I grease mine up good with petroleum jelly. You can also line them with parchment paper or freezer paper.

The one I have came with little dowels that fit into holes in the bottom that push it out. It's never stuck on me, even with bastille soap that I unmolded the next morning.

thanks guys.. so far i lined mine with something like freezer paper, but that's kinda defeat the whole purpose of hdpe molds, right?

i'll have to dig up my drawer.. i think there's an old jar of vaseline somewhere..

all my moulds are lined with hdpe and I have found over time they get a film on them and no longer stick. until then I cut the soap loose with a fine wire and it works great! been doing it this way for many years now. it also depends a lot on your recipe as to how bad it sticks. might play around with different recipes and see how that works for you. HTH

Last edited:
warm them up and then twist the sides instead of pulling them off and they usually slip off.

I still line mine, just makes life simpler. I even make hard soap recipes with lots of palm and or lard and they still stick to my hdpe. Of course I unmold early because I cannot afford the time for the soaps to sit in the molds. Cutting the side off with wire just did not work for me either with my 18" molds, if was harder than lining and trying to twist an slide off the sides would only result in chunks missing from my soap. Probably did not leave them in the mold long enough

I have trouble with my soap sticking in the HDPE molds unless I grease them up with petroleum jelly or line them. These were some of my first molds too, so they were used quite a bit. I don't use them much any more for that very reason.

well, my mold came with a liner for the bottom. i don't know what it's made of though. i just saw a video of another soaper who was using the same mold from the same maker (soap hutch). it looked pretty easy with the screw thingy that came with the mold. doh, stupid me forgot about the screw thingy when i 1st used it. am gonna give it another go and use the screw thingy to release the sides.

Latest posts

Back