What size soap is best?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TVivian

Reaction score
Hello All!
I think I'm finally ready to order a nice silicone lined soap mold. I really like the ones from Silvermoon, but there are so many sizes I'm having a hard time choosing which is best.

I know everyone has different preferences, but I'm wondering what size soap bar most people prefer. I'm also wondering how much an average bar should weigh. Right now the bars I'm making are 4 X 2.5 and weigh around 6oz. My husband likes this size, but I feel they're too big for my hands.

I guess I just don't want to regret buying the wrong size mold as it is quite an investment!

Sent from my iPhone using Soap Making

I use the 5lb silicone liners from Brambleberry and had my husband make molds to go with them. My bars are around 5.5-6 oz. I want to say they are 3 X 2.5 and 1 1/4 thick or so.

I use the 5lb silicone liners from Brambleberry and had my husband make molds to go with them. My bars are around 5.5-6 oz. I want to say they are 3 X 2.5 and 1 1/4 thick or so.

I really like the price of the BB silicone liner, but I've read that because they're thinner, they need to be taped up to the mold or they flop inward.. And that they stretch out after awhile. What is your experience with it so far?

Hmm.. They have a mold close to the size of the homemade one I use. I suppose I could just cut the soaps in half after they're cured. I guess I need to visit more farmers markets and craft fairs to get a feel for what I like. Using bar soap is sort of a newer thing for me. Most of my adult life I've used liquid soap.

I've had great luck with the liners. My husband actually made the mold a titch longer than what it should have been so I have no problems with the sides falling in or folding over. Even if they did I would just use some tape or a chip clip to hold them. I've done at least 20 batches in each of them and have not had one even tear yet. I handwash them and let them airdry and they are ready to go. Besides, at $15.00 each I plan on ordering several more so that I can make soap even faster. It's certainly a personal choice. I looked into the more expensive molds but foud that these work for me now without the huge expense of the others.

I use the Brambleberry liners as well, in molds image myself to support them, and they do flop inwards until the batter is in the liner to hold it up. I cut my loaves with a one inch wire cutter, and they come out around 4.5oz, which I like.

Ditto on the 5lb BB silicone liners. They have been great for me. But as stated, they are not stand-alone moulds. I love how easily you can peel them off the soap loaf and they leave the soap so shinny. As to your original question of size, mine also weigh in at about 4.5 oz. Personally I think anything bigger than 5oz is getting too big for women and they are the ones purchasing 75% of my soap.

Thank you guys!! You talked me into the BB molds! I just ordered 2 liners and I'll make the boxes myself! *very excited*

Viv, I'm one of those weirdos who actually like to line my log molds with freezer paper...I find it very "Zen-like" to create the perfect crease, LOL!
My husband loved the size of the Soaptopia soaps you sent me, but they were a little big for my hands.
If you need any help with log molds, just PM me...my husband is beyond awesome at making them in whatever size I need and they cost almost nothing to make!

Ditto on the 5lb BB silicone liners. They have been great for me. But as stated, they are not stand-alone moulds. I love how easily you can peel them off the soap loaf and they leave the soap so shinny. As to your original question of size, mine also weigh in at about 4.5 oz. Personally I think anything bigger than 5oz is getting too big for women and they are the ones purchasing 75% of my soap.

I am the opposite I sell to more men than women and they like the big bars. I think I sell to so many men becuase my husband is with me selling. Many time the women will just stand there while their hubby picks out soap

Viv, I'm one of those weirdos who actually like to line my log molds with freezer paper...I find it very "Zen-like" to create the perfect crease, LOL!
My husband loved the size of the Soaptopia soaps you sent me, but they were a little big for my hands.
If you need any help with log molds, just PM me...my husband is beyond awesome at making them in whatever size I need and they cost almost nothing to make!

M- I wish I could get into lining those molds! Sometimes knowing I have to cut and fold will keeps me from making a batch entirely.. This is why I'm looking into the silicone. Silver moon is the only one I've found that has almost the same size as the Soaptopia soap in a silicone mold. ... My husband likes that size too and then cut in half they're perfect for me... But then there's the price *sigh*

I figure for $15 each the BB liners will do the trick and I'll build my own boxes (this girl is pretty handy with power tools ) .. And I can still consider investing in the other molds later on..
Your hubby sounds like an awesome guy!

Thanks for all of the replys everyone! I very much appreciate them!

Viv, he's a total hoot! I ask him to make a custom log mold for someone, and he's cool with it....sometimes he'll ask "Why am I doing this?" and my answer is always "Because that's just how we roll down here, Babe."
We're old-school Southern, LOL!

Back