Help with colorants!

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tersh79

Reaction score
Okay I'm figuring I'm just missing obvious instructions somewhere, but how the heck do I use powdered colorants? I'm guessing for oil based ones you reserve some of the oils and mix in, but how much per pound of oils? Same deal with water, keep some from mixing with lye and add to the powder (specifically, titanium dioxide) and mix in at light trace? How much to use?? Thanks!!

Sent from my iPad using Soap Making

I've just used about a tablespoon or two of olive oil in a little dixie cup, add 1/2 tsp color and mix really well then let sit while I get every thing else I need for my batch together. After trace, I add a little at a time to my batch until I get the color I want. If you have a good supply of color powder, mix a little more than you think you might need so that you don't scramble in the middle of a batch to try and mix more. I've added just the powder to a thin traced batter and stick blended, it works but you get a better color saturation if you premix and let it sit.

As far as TD goes, I use a half teaspoon in my 54oz. Batches and add it to my lye water along with my sugar and silk before adding the lye. If its just for part of a batch I just mix with enough water to dissolve it well then add to the part I want it in. Like Isg said check with your supplier and see what they recommend. I don't usually adjust my recipe because the amount of oil or whatever I use to mix is small and unless you are making a very small test batch it won't make a difference.

Amy Warden just did a youtube video that is very helpful. [ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ph6-AMQLkEg[/ame]

She also has the same info on her blog.

Latest posts

Back