What do you rest your unmolded soap on

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lotus

Reaction score
What do you rest your unmolded CP soap on, before you cut it? I unmolded mine, and it's still too soft to cut. Usually I rest it on wax paper, but I ran out!! I have it on a tea towel, for now. But, I'm worried about absorption being an issue. Am I crazy? Should I head out for some wax paper? Or what do you use?

What do you rest your unmolded CP soap on, before you cut it? I unmolded mine, and it's still too soft to cut. Usually I rest it on wax paper, but I ran out!! I have it on a tea towel, for now. But, I'm worried about absorption being an issue. Am I crazy? Should I head out for some wax paper? Or what do you use?

If you use a plastic mold, use the sides of it. Be careful with paper garbage bags and paper in general. The soap will stick to it. in addition the paper garbage bags are made with harsh chemicals that the soap will absorb. It will smell like a wet dog! I know cuz it happened to me.:cry:

I rest mine on paper towels. I also line my curing trays with paper, and I am contemplating loose muslin covers, since I live in a high dust/windy area

If you use a plastic mold, use the sides of it. Be careful with paper garbage bags and paper in general. The soap will stick to it. in addition the paper garbage bags are made with harsh chemicals that the soap will absorb. It will smell like a wet dog! I know cuz it happened to me.:cry:

I use silicone at the moment. But, thanks. I originally put mine on a paper grocery bag (our weird city banned the plastic ones, last year). But, it didn't feel right. So, I moved it to a tea towel. This seems good for now.

Thank you so much for telling me this, though. I now know to never reach for that option. : )

Since I use wood load molds lined with freezer paper, I pull out the freezer paper and have it sit on that. When I do pvc molds, I usually pull out a brown paper bag or something of the like.

Since I use wood load molds lined with freezer paper, I pull out the freezer paper and have it sit on that. When I do pvc molds, I usually pull out a brown paper bag or something of the like.

I so want to get a wooden mold. I will be getting one soon. You know, I'd never heard of freezer paper until I came here? I wonder if they sell it at my grocery store.

By the way. . . what are paper garbage bags? Is there any chance you can send me a link? Our "weird" city made it so that our garbage is taken out every other week, and we have to dispose of our "compostables" in the yard debris bin, this year (which now comes every week). So, something like this interests me.

ETA: I wish I could find a way that soap scraps qualified for this. Hell! Maybe it does.

Last edited:
A silicon oven liner, or just on my table. I have a stainless steel work table. I don't use paper or paper towels - try to be as green as possible.

Lucky you! I have very little room. I just got my rack for "curing soap," but it's already full. I can't wait to buy another to stack on top of it. My tea towel seems to be doing well, and the soap is already hard enough that I think I'll cut it in the morning.

Thanks for the advice, guys! Great things told!

I line the bottom of my mold with a thin white plastic garbage bag. I have wooden slab molds with the dividers including the bottom and sides. But I found my soap sticks to the bottom piece so I started lining just the bottom with a thin white garbage bag. Thin is the key as it doesn't leave wrinkles on the bottom of the soap.

I can cut a tall kitchen bag up into about 8 liners. So when I unmold my soap it already has a liner to sit on until I pull the soapies out of the dividers. I usually stick the whole shebang in my fridge, chill for 30 minutes, then pull the soaps out of the dividers.

Oh-- in case you don't use the same method, the whole batch comes out of the mold with the dividers still intact. All I have to do is peel off the side dividers and slip out the soaps from the cross piece dividers. Sounds simple but you know how soap can stick. Works much easier when the soap is chilled a bit.

Haha! I didn't answer the OP's question. What I forgot to say is plastic garbage bags work in a pinch if you run out of wax paper and need something to place your newly unmolded soap. When it comes time to cut your soap you can leave it on the bag and just cut.

Last edited:
I also line my mold with freezer paper and pull the wax paper and soap out, pulling the wax paper loose from the sides of the soap and let it sit for a day or so before cutting.

I've been using my Pampered Chef cutting mats. They're made of some sort of plastic. You can see them in some of the pics in my threads. I would imagine any sort of plastic cutting board would do.

I just place my unmolded soap on a towel until ready to cut. Once cut I place them on a large metal storage rack lined with plastic needlepoint sheets until cured. Once cured, wrapped and labeled, I store them in Baseball Card Storage Boxes. They stack well and I can label them easily.

I use parchment paper to line my mold, so I just leave it on the paper before it's ready to cut

I use parchment paper to line a baking sheet and rest the unmolded soap on that until it is cut.

Cooling Racks

So far, I seem to be the odd one out as I use cooling racks (the kind for baking). The soaps don't stick, the air can flow all around each bar, and they're easy to move from one location to another. :thumbup:

Latest posts

Back