Lye solution

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

themoss

Reaction score
Can i store lye solutions ?

Diluting them first then store in a glass bottle in a cool dry place?

Or is it not possible since different recipe requires different amount of lye?
:?:

I think someone mentioned doing this. I dont know how they work it. Sorry not more help. Have you tried search tab?

I always soap with a 30% lye solution that i buy in a wholesale here, it is stored in a plastic container (25 liters) with a lid, I transfer about 1,5 liters at a time and store in a rubbermaid pitcher, be careful to keep the lid tight so the water doesn't evaporate.

Kveðja
María

I mix it up about a gallon at a time 50/50 and keep it in a clean laundry detergent bottle.
I soap at 40%, so I just add a 25% of the total weight of the mix in plain water.
Quick and easy.

Deda said:
I mix it up about a gallon at a time 50/50 and keep it in a clean laundry detergent bottle.
I soap at 40%, so I just add a 25% of the total weight of the mix in plain water.
Quick and easy.

I do the exact same thing except I use a 33% solution. I mix the liquid and lye 50/50 (by weight) and add Tussah silk to that and store it in an HDPE laundry bottle (well marked). When it comes time to soap I take my lye amount and double it (since the mix is only half lye), and weigh that out in my 50/50 solution. I then take the liquid amount and cut that in half (since I already have half of my liquid in the 50/50 mix.

It might sound complicated but since I use a 33% solution... what I am really doing is swapping the soapcalc amounts for the liquid and the lye... so once you get used to that it is very simple for math challenged people like me.

Latest posts

Back