pomace olive oil.

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Generally the order in terms of quality with olive oil are: extra virgin, pure/light olive oil, then pomace. If someone wants to correct me on that they are more than welcome.
As I understand it, the pomace olive oil is obtained at the third or so pressing, and they sometimes use hexane to obtain the oil.
Pomace traces quicker than normal olive oil.

I'm asking cause I bought some OO and it says "olive oil". That's it. I saw the light OO at WM and EVOO of course but that's the only 3 they had so i'll assume this was pure oo.

I'll have to order some from WSS. I've been looking at oils in the stores where I go. hehe

Rosey, if you have a Costco near you that's usually the best place to get OO. It's cheaper per pound than buying 35lb cubes (like wine in a box) from Columbus Foods. Last time I was bought it was $22.99 for 5 Liters. (169 oz).

We don't have costco or kroger's..boohooo!

I may ask my friend to price it at Sam's club and see.

That's not a bad price, that's 13.6c per oz.

The oo i got at walmart was like 19c per oz

I think I'm going to have to send off for it then cause I can't find it here or haven't found it *yet*

Yeah I need to compare. Obviously if I can buy a BIG amount online, the shipping may not be so bad. I need to calculate all this.

I like using the light oo because it will still give you a white soap, depending on what other oils you soap it with.

I have also found that with sunflower oil, the cheaper version is much much darker yellow in colour than the more expensive one (no frills versus chrisco brand). The chrisco one is a very pale light yellow colour, and is high oleic. I bought that one. I don't use sunflower a lot, but occasionally I do like it.

I bought OO at Sam,s Club for $14.88 for 3 liters( 101 ozs). About 14 cents per oz.

mnten said:
I bought OO at Sam,s Club for $14.88 for 3 liters( 101 ozs). About 14 cents per oz.

I have been using that same OO. I must say I am impressed with the soaps I have made from it. :)

SoapPoopette :wink:

I use the olive pomace from Shay & Company....I've had good luck with it, and at $16 a gallon (and local pickup), it's a bargain.

pomase oil..

i get my pomace at local italian store..on sale i pay 9.99 for 3 liters...i can,t believe how much its gone up the past few years..i used to pay 4.99 for 3 liters....but i love handmade soap..i cant use the junk u buy in the store anymore.... :lol:

I've been using pomace lately, and have been pleased. But, I made a
batch of castile without discounting the water- soft loaf. I shredded some
to incorporate into other bars, and stored it in a ziplock bag (not zipped tight,
so it had air circulation) in the spare bedroom. Last week, I went to use it and
half of the shreds were the original lovely light green. The other half were ORANGE-
the whole thing smelled rancid.

That worries me. None of my soaps have gone bad, so I don't know what's
going on.

Rosey, I buy the same OO that you got from Wal-Mart. It doesn't say Extra Virgin or Light Extra Virgin. It just says "Pure Olive Oil" and it's the Great Value brand. It works great! It doesn't accelerate trace and makes for a very white bar of soap. Oh, and it's NOT Pomace. Pomace has a green tint.

I'm attaching a picture of soap made from 100% OO of that brand. It came out really hard and white and mild:

IMG_0357.jpg

Very nice! That's exactly it! I went and looked at the bottle.

I guess I can stick with that unless I really do find it cheaper online which I haven't yet so :)

I use the Sam's Club Member's Mark brand @ 12.88/3L which is way cheaper than anywhere else I can find locally.

Edited because I can't spell

ChrissyB said:
Zeo, that soap looks lovely!
How long did you cure that one?
Nice bevelling too :D

Chrissy,

In that picture, it was only a few days old. But it's the end piece so it was drier than the rest of the batch. I eventually let it cure for about 3 months. I kept waiting for it to get less mushy but finally realized it wasn't and that was the slimey-ness everyone was talking about. I'll be doing Bastile from now on.

zeo

Latest posts

Back