HP lard soap stays caustic. What did I do wrong ?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
lady-of-4,

People say that the longer a soap cures, the milder it gets.

Approximately, by how much does the pH go down, after say 2 months of curing ?

If you need specifics, I have an all-olive-oil soap, an olive oil/coconut oil/castor oil soap, and a lard soap that is currently curing. The pH that was measured for each when they were unmolded were 9.7, 9.8, and 10.1 respectively. Where do you think the pHs will be after 2 months of curing ?

Thanks

"...Now add more lye solution, your ph will rise. Add more acid solution, the ph will fall. Simple enough?..."

No, it's really, really not that simple.

Soap is a buffered system, not a straightforward acid-base system, which you appear to think is the case. Furthermore, soap is a colloid, with its own unique chemistry.

The pH of a soap will fall in response to added acid IF and ONLY IF there is excess alkalinity. Once the alkalinity of the system drops to the natural, intrinsic pH of the soap system, the pH will REMAIN STABLE even as more and more acid is added. During this phase, the soap instead will maintain a stable pH by breaking down into its constituent fatty acids as more acid is added -- that is what a buffered system does. Only after the soap fully converts into fatty acid will the pH drop once again in response to additional acid.

"...In soap, neutralization for us is around 9, without break down...."
"...High ph and lye excess/heaviness are synonymous...."
"...But that ph will tell you once and for all whether your soap is truly skin safe...."

Kevin Dunn discusses soap pH in Chapter 13 of his Scientific Soapmaking book. In Table 13-1, he states a 1% solution of a pure soap in water will have a pH ranging from 10.1 to 11.4, depending on the soap. See first attached image.

A mixture of fatty acids will produce a soap that has an averaged pH within the range that Dunn cites. If one cannot accept the fact that a well made, skin safe lye soap may have a pH of 10 or above, then don't make or use lye soap.

Note Dunn measured the pH of a 1% solution of soap in water. A dilute solution is the correct way to measure pH if one is interested in collecting precise, accurate data.

If Dunn's research is not sufficient, then check out a study done by dermatologists. The pH of the lye soaps evaluated by these authors ranged from 9.8 to 12.4. See the second attached image. Reference: Baranda, L, et al. Correlation between pH and irritant effect of cleansers marketed for dry skin. International Journal of Dermatology, 2002, 41, 494–499.

Please note the authors measured the pH of an 8% solution of soap dissolved in water. Again, this is a dilute solution and is the correct way to measure soap pH.

And lastly, take a close look at the Walton reference that was cited in the post at thesage.com forum. The pH of the soaps ranged from 9.5 to 10.0 as measured with pH test strips. See the third attached image. Source: http://archive.is/jKKsM#selection-305.0-329.481

For the record, Dove is NOT a lye soap. It is a syndet (synthetic detergent) cleanser, which is the reason why it can have a pH that is lower than lye soap. To confirm this data, note that Baranda, et al. measured the pH of Dove White and Dove Baby at 7.0 to 7.5.

I've said before and I'll say again -- pick a method, any method -- test strips, phenolphthalein, pH meter, zap test, whatever -- and use it in a consistent way. If your tongue doesn't work right or you don't want to deal with tasting soap, then probably the zap test is not for you, but otherwise it's the best option of the bunch. Get experience and learn how your chosen method performs when testing both skin safe soaps and lye heavy soaps. Don't get hung up on the numbers from a meter or test strip, and don't expect to compare your results with anyone else, because the testing methods are not standardized. Expect when you change the blend of fats in a recipe to get different results. Expect when you make different types of soap to get different results. Just look for trends.

The one statement you make that I agree with is that pH is correlated with skin irritation in sensitive individuals. The findings by Baranda et al. support this hypothesis. See the last attached image showing all the cleansers they evaluated for pH and skin irritation.

In their discussion, "...We found a significant correlation between pH and skin irritation (P < 0.006)..." and "...As the soaps more frequently used by the general population showed a high irritation index (3.285–5.4) they should not be recommended for individuals with sensitive skin...."

"...In soap, neutralization for us is around 9, without break down. That's the general consensus in soap making...."

Your assertion that this is "the general consensus in soap making" is fallacious. I do not share that consensus, I have presented creditable research data that does not support that consensus, and I do not see a "general consensus" for your point of view in the soapers with whom I interact.

Dunn K Sci Soapmaking Table 13-1.jpg

BarandaL Cleanser soaps only irritation vs pH.jpg

Walton Feed soap pH.jpg

BarandaL Cleanser irritation vs pH.jpg

Last edited:
lady-of-4,

People say that the longer a soap cures, the milder it gets.

Approximately, by how much does the pH go down, after say 2 months of curing ?

If you need specifics, I have an all-olive-oil soap, an olive oil/coconut oil/castor oil soap, and a lard soap that is currently curing. The pH that was measured for each when they were unmolded were 9.7, 9.8, and 10.1 respectively. Where do you think the pHs will be after 2 months of curing ?

Thanks

That all depends your soap honestly dear. Everyone's batch is different. All you can do now is monitor it and take notes.

DeeAnna you are once again my hero....thank you for your clear consise presentation. You are so very much appreciated. You make thinks so much easier to understand. I will contine to use the zap test. I've been doing it for years and won't stop now. I figure if I haven't been burned by now it's not happening....

Yes. Thanks DeeAnna as well.

I did not know that there were some commercial soaps that had a pH of above 9.0.

When I tested a couple of commercial soaps (Dove White and Kirk's castille) and got a pH of around 9.0 for each of them, I started to wonder about my soap (despite it having passed the zap test).

Your article was reassuring.

About your article, DeeAnna

The soap solutions that were tested in the article were 1% and 8% solutions. I would think that when we are washing ourselves with soap in the shower or sink, we are putting a somewhat more concentrated soap solution on ourselves.

Shouldn't they be testing with say 70% or 80% soap solutions ?

DeeAnna you are once again my hero....thank you for your clear concise presentation. You are so very much appreciated. You make thinks so much easier to understand. I will contine to use the zap test. I've been doing it for years and won't stop now. I figure if I haven't been burned by now it's not happening....

Actually, she didn't prove, nor disprove anything about the zap test.:yawn:

"No, it's really, really not that simple.

Soap is a buffered system, not a straightforward acid-base system, which you appear to think is the case. Furthermore, soap is a colloid, with its own unique chemistry.

The pH of a soap will fall in response to added acid IF and ONLY IF there is excess alkalinity. Once the alkalinity of the system drops to the natural, intrinsic pH of the soap system, the pH will REMAIN STABLE even as more and more acid is added. During this phase, the soap instead will maintain a stable pH by breaking down into its constituent fatty acids as more acid is added -- that is what a buffered system does. Only after the soap fully converts into fatty acid will the pH drop once again in response to additional acid."

Actually, it REALLY IS that simple. You're assumption that I think soap is a simple acid/base solution is interesting...where did you get that from? Also, you use this word intrinsic in relation to soap. It's a throw off, as though you think soap has some special internal ph combined with some other ph. It doesn't. While yes, each fat will bring something of it's own to the table, including it's own ph, in the end, they all will contribute to the FINAL ph of soap, along with any other ingredients used. It's that final ph of soap that we are discussing here. Not it's individual constituents. Anyways, while yes, in a set of simple acid/ base solutions, as I'd worked with yesterday, the ph will more easily rise and fall with the addition of an acid or base, that doesn't mean the soap won't do so as well with the addition of an acid or base. In fact, with LS making for example, a common solution with troubleshooting excess fatty acids in soap, (which by the way, if you test ph on will have a lower ph than a fully saponfied soap) is to add more lye, thus fully saponifying the excess fats, and raising the ph. Or in the case of excess lye, which can only truly be found out with a ph test, is to neutralize it with an acid, thus lowering the ph. By the way, I've zap tested a soap with a known lye excess, and thus, higher ph, nothing.

When I say neutralization, you must be confused with soap straight out of the pot as opposed to actually neutralizing the soap to a more acceptable pH level. I was referring to actually lowering the ph to the level that is more acceptable, if at all possible. In HP and LS making, it is most certainly possible, through the use of neutralizers like borax, boric acid or citric acid. CP, however, isn't as easy, but it is possible none the less, either through rebatch, or adding an acid during the making process:

http://forum.thesage.com/comments.php?DiscussionID=99

An excess of lye, or hydroxide ions, isn't necessarily needed in this case however, if you just use sodium, or potassium citrate, which can be purchased in anhydrous forms. Otherwise, the NaOH SAP value of anhydrous citric acid is .625, while monohydrous citric acid is .571

" Again, this is a dilute solution and is the correct way to measure soap pH."

No, it is not the only way. As indicated in the MillerSoap links, the author used BOTH a 1% solution and a slurry. She made note: "Since most of us [soap makers] don't test pH using a 1% soap solution, I also tested each strip by making a slurry with distilled water directly on the bars of soap. I did each set of tests twice, just to be sure." Her results, using strips and a lab meter, were consistent across the board.
She further gave simple instruction on the proper way to use strips to get better readings:

"Recommendations for using test strips:
Some test strips need longer contact with the solution/slurry for an accurate reading. For best results, keep your test strip in the solution/slurry until the color no longer changes, perhaps 30 seconds or one minute.
Store your strips away from direct light which over time, can fade the dye indicators and interfere with accuracy."

It is also noted that lab grade strips are best.

It's quite contradictory to say this:
"If one cannot accept the fact that a well made, skin safe lye soap may have a pH of 10 or above, then don't make or use lye soap. "

Then turn around and say this:
"The one statement you make that I agree with is that pH is correlated with skin irritation in sensitive individuals"

You have pretty much agreed that a higher pH results in skin irritation, and is therefore not skin safe, with that last statement.
As I've said before, a pH of 10 IS NOT skin safe, as stressed to me by friend with a degree is biomedical engineering. Skin damage is occurring at a molecular level, that is of course most apparent to individuals with sensitive skin. But it doesn't mean it isn't happening to the general population with normal skin. Damage is occurring whether it is noticed or not. In fact, considering skin ph is roughly a 5, anything too much higher than that really isn't good for the skin either. But, in the case of soap, going below 9 is difficult without the soap beginning to breakdown, but that's more likely if you were to a straight acid to the soap, rather than an acid salt, like sodium citrate or sodium borate.

http://skincarerx.com/101-ph-article.html

http://www.livestrong.com/article/152255-ph-effects-on-skin/

In regards to the use of phenol-p drops to test for safety:

http://soap-made-easy.com/soap-ph.html

And technically, on a pH scale of 0-14, 7 being the 'perfect neutral", the scale is actually broken up into 3 parts, or zones, depending on what the source is for the scale: acid zone (0-4), neutral zone(5-9), and basic zone(10-14). With most bodily fluids( stomach acid not included) , and skin, falling in the neutral zone. Even water, considered to be neutral at 7, depending on temp changes, can be either "slightly acidic" or "slightly basic". Water at 25*C has a pH of 7, while at 50*C a pH of 6.55. Note, however, that water that has been exposed to air is mildly acidic. This is because water absorbs carbon dioxide from the air, which is then slowly converted into bicarbonate and hydrogen ions (essentially creating carbonic acid).

And I found this website quite interesting, with lessons and tools to help better understand what happens when pH changes. http://phet.colorado.edu/en/simulation/ph-scale

And more information on the effects of high pH on skin.

http://www.womensforum.com/alkaline-skin-danger.html

To me, this is no laughing matter, or something to be swept under the rug We make soap for various reasons, but more likely because we don't want to use synthetic products or there are allergies involved. Or we just want to know what goes into our soap, to have control. Just because soap, out of the kettle, automatically has a high pH, does not mean we can't make the attempt to lower that pH to more skin friendly/compatible levels. That to me is not acceptable, and it does a disservice to our families and friends whom we gift these products to. And if you sell your soap, you are further spreading an issue to customers. In the old times of making soap, folks then didn't have the knowledge, or ability, to change the harshness of their soap. To them, it was what it was. If they zap tested but the soap still "took the hide off of folks", oh well. We have the means to do better than that. Which is why we have companies like Dove, making the 'perfect neutral soap". Should the choice be made to find out what those means are as home crafters, that's up to the soap maker. I'm choosing to educate myself, apply what I know, and further educate new soapers, that zap testing is not acceptable in our modern time as it will not tell you what the pH of your soap is, and a high pH is not skin safe, and that there are ways do the opposite.

Last edited:
About your article, DeeAnna

The soap solutions that were tested in the article were 1% and 8% solutions. I would think that when we are washing ourselves with soap in the shower or sink, we are putting a somewhat more concentrated soap solution on ourselves.

Shouldn't they be testing with say 70% or 80% soap solutions ?

Would that change the pH overmuch? But more importantly, if you test EVERYTHING in the same manner, be it 80% solution or 8% solution, it is then scientific. From searching online, it also seems to be the standardised process for scientific testing, so you can benchmark against something.

Don't forget, you wanted to know what the pH of your soap is - and that is not dependent on how much you use when you lather up. If you want to know if it is safe to use for washing yourself - lick it!

Don't forget, you wanted to know what the pH of your soap is - and that is not dependent on how much you use when you lather up. If you want to know if it is safe to use for washing yourself - lick it!

Yes, back to the simple, reliable basics. Although the scientific details are of great interest, many just want to know their soap is safe.

Beware, no hair is too fine to split.

I have to point out that this:

"If one cannot accept the fact that a well made, skin safe lye soap may have a pH of 10 or above, then don't make or use lye soap. "

"The one statement you make that I agree with is that pH is correlated with skin irritation in sensitive individuals"

You have pretty much agreed that a higher pH results in skin irritation, and is therefore not skin safe, with that last statement.

Is akin to saying that if I state that eating peanuts is dangerous for people with peanut allergies, then I am saying that peanuts are dangerous to eat full stop. It's not. It's saying it's dangerous if you have an allergy. If you don't, it's delicious.

Higher pH can cause issues for people who are already sensitive. DeeAnna did not say that higher pH can cause people who do not have a sensitivity to develop one.

She also did not say that it is the only way to test it - you can lay a litmus strip in the bottom of your mould if you really want to do so - DeeAnna was talking about the accepted method of testing in the scientific arena. The method of testing that Dove will use when they make their "soap". Other soapers might well make a slurry or what ever they like - but then you can't hold that figure against those stated by other tests unless they also used the exact same slurry amounts.

DeeAnna - sorry for talking for you - please feel free to put me right.

I have to point out that this:

Is akin to saying that if I state that eating peanuts is dangerous for people with peanut allergies, then I am saying that peanuts are dangerous to eat full stop. It's not. It's saying it's dangerous if you have an allergy. If you don't, it's delicious.

Higher pH can cause issues for people who are already sensitive. DeeAnna did not say that higher pH can cause people who do not have a sensitivity to develop one.

She also did not say that it is the only way to test it - you can lay a litmus strip in the bottom of your mould if you really want to do so - DeeAnna was talking about the accepted method of testing in the scientific arena. The method of testing that Dove will use when they make their "soap". Other soapers might well make a slurry or what ever they like - but then you can't hold that figure against those stated by other tests unless they also used the exact same slurry amounts.

DeeAnna - sorry for talking for you - please feel free to put me right.

I also followed up with: " Skin damage is occurring at a molecular level, that is of course most apparent to individuals with sensitive skin. But it doesn't mean it isn't happening to the general population with normal skin. Damage is occurring whether it is noticed or not."

But you seemed it most beneficial to your argument to exclude that portion.

Bottom line. Not regulating the alkalinity of soap, regardless of it's inherent cause, will damage skin. A pH above 10, will never be skin safe. Sure, you can superfat your soap to counteract/ cover that alkalinity, but it's still there. And it's stripping the protective acid mantle layer of your skin.

http://chemistscorner.com/cosmeticsciencetalk/discussion/147/how-is-skins-ph-affected-by-the-use-of-soap-ph-9-10/p1

And since this well known crafter is commonly referenced:

http://swiftcraftymonkey.blogspot.co.uk/2010/03/chemistry-of-skin-ph-and-our-skins-acid.html

http://chemistscorner.com/cosmetics...ins-ph-affected-by-the-use-of-soap-ph-9-10/p1

Last edited:
Bottom line. Not regulating the alkalinity of soap, regardless of it's inherent cause, will damage skin. A pH above 10, will never be skin safe. Sure, you can superfat your soap to counteract/ cover that alkalinity, but it's still there. And it's stripping the protective acid mantle layer of your skin.

Now we know what really happened.

soappoisoning_zps3563c9ea.jpg

I am no chemist, but empirically my CP soap, which falls between 9-10 pH when fully cured, and is superfatted at 8-10%, is gentler to my skin than detergent bars, which dry me out. It has been many years since I had chemistry in school, so I'm not going to weigh in on the science. However, based on my personal experience, you can only push the pH down so far before the soap loses its cohesion and ceases to be solid soap. It doesn't seem worth it to me to tinker in this way for modest reductions in pH when the product has not caused irritation in anyone who has used it.

There are some people who can't tolerate the alkalinity, and for them, a detergent bar is best. I am not one of those to bash detergent bars for being "artificial." They have their place.

Similarly, my hair does not tolerate the alkalinity of CP soap, so I don't use it for that purpose. For some people, it works great. For others, it works, if followed by an acidic rinse of some sort.

I also think there is a difference between a rinse off product, like soap, and a leave on product, like lotion, when it comes to acidity/alkalinity. I believe that's where Susan (Swiftcraftymonkey) is coming from. She is not a soapmaker, BTW.

I am no chemist, but empirically my CP soap, which falls between 9-10 pH when fully cured, and is superfatted at 8-10%, is gentler to my skin than detergent bars, which dry me out. It has been many years since I had chemistry in school, so I'm not going to weigh in on the science. However, based on my personal experience, you can only push the pH down so far before the soap loses its cohesion and ceases to be solid soap. It doesn't seem worth it to me to tinker in this way for modest reductions in pH when the product has not caused irritation in anyone who has used it.

There are some people who can't tolerate the alkalinity, and for them, a detergent bar is best. I am not one of those to bash detergent bars for being "artificial." They have their place.

Similarly, my hair does not tolerate the alkalinity of CP soap, so I don't use it for that purpose. For some people, it works great. For others, it works, if followed by an acidic rinse of some sort.

I also think there is a difference between a rinse off product, like soap, and a leave on product, like lotion, when it comes to acidity/alkalinity. I believe that's where Susan (Swiftcraftymonkey) is coming from. She is not a soapmaker, BTW.

I agree, she isn't a soap maker. But she is a chemist. And this is about the basic chemistry of soap, and how it affects our skin and hair. High alkalinity isn't good for our skin. So in order to fix that, the need to further neutralize the soap is apparent.

Brambleberry has a tutorial on just this exact thing. Making a shampoo bar that has a super low pH, and is thus, much gentler on the skin, and hair, than regular soap.

http://www.soapqueen.com/bath-and-body-tutorials/cold-process-soap/sudsy-shampoo-bars/

Where there's a will, there's a way. That's all i'm saying. Soap isn't bad. It's much better than detergent bars. But what harm is there in making it better. We have the means to learn and do. Why not?

Judy -- I found myself wondering how our handcrafted soaps would have fared in that dermatology study. Many people, including me, are certain their skin feels better when using handmade soap than when using even the mildest of commercial products.

"...I also think there is a difference between a rinse off product, like soap, and a leave on product, like lotion, when it comes to acidity/alkalinity...."

Yes, I think you are right about this one. Thanks for sharing your thoughts.

I am no chemist, but empirically my CP soap, which falls between 9-10 pH when fully cured, and is superfatted at 8-10%, is gentler to my skin than detergent bars, which dry me out.
Ditto. I tried many pH neutral detergent bars and liquid body wash (hypoallergenic) and they still dried out my skin and caused irritation. I am eternally grateful for the people that suggested homemade CP soap to me when I vented about becoming allergic to my hypoallergenic dermatologist (MY dermatologist) recommended wash and cream.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back