White Spots?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MarisaJensen

Reaction score
I'm posting this for my mom, she makes soap and recently she asked me what the white spots are and honestly.. I've never encountered white spots like this so I have no clue what it is or could be.

I don't know her recipe but the soap is a coconut, palm, shea and avocado in full water with 3% superfat.

She said the white spots came in the colors after cutting the soap and after the soap was exposed to air. She said it doesn't appear to be soda ash or lye heavy, so I'm left clueless on what to tell her.

Has anyone encountered this problem?

IMG_4144.jpg

IMG_7964.jpg

IMG_9614.jpg

I get that occasionally too and have no idea why. I've also had it happen when I add no color because the FO will D/C dark brown so that can't be the culprit for me. Mine don't zap either. With all that said, I'm no help to you at all, lol!

But your mom sure made some pretty soap! Great colors and I love the large heart in the center. Way to go mom! :thumbup:

Wow! She makes pretty soaps! The 1st one looks like painting, and i really like the zebra stripes and the hot fuchsia!

Sorry i'm no help, still admiring the pics

Xraygrl - I thought the same thing at first but she said the spots showed up later. I thought maybe her colors weren't completely emulsified but I don't think that now.

Kista & Seven - Thanks for the kind compliment. My mom makes some pretty cool looking and funky soaps. I'll send her a link here so she can read your comments. Hopefully she too will sign up. :)

BTW, could it be one of her ingredients. Would a bad ingredient do something like this. I think all her oils are pretty new but just by chance could this be a rancid oil.

She didn't say if the soap smelled or not.

*Update she said they smell like the E/O so not rancid I guess.

Last edited:
Looks like steric spots to me. This is common when using palm, especially if the entire container of palm isn't melted and stirred before weighing out what you need for the recipe. Another reason to replace palm with lard, you won't get those specks.

Latest posts

Back