Whipped Shea Butter

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FOhoarder

Reaction score
I want to take a stab at some whipped body butter and in my research came upon a YT video from coastal scents. She went through the whole process and added some dry ingredients that I have not come across in this forum as of yet. I wanted to ask your expert advice on the additives and see if anyone use them in their butters. They are...silica powder, rice powder and boron nitride. She did say what each one brings to the party like nice slip and creaminess, etc. Anyone use these or know of any cons to using these powders? Thanks everyone!

I'd probably leave out the boron nitrate and silica powder I don't think they are necessary and they are probably difficult to source. Regarding the rice powder - you could instead add corn starch to make it less greasy. I tend to add IPM or IPP instead since I have them handy.

For a simple body butter, you could use 20-30% oil and the rest shea/cocoa/mango butters (melt slightly v gently so its soft) and add either 3% IPP/IPM or some cornstarch and 1% vitamin E and then whip for a while with a whisk until it reaches the consistency of whipped cream/frosting.

Regarding oil choices, I would choose a light oil such as apricot kernel, sweet almond, fractionated coconut.

Mango butter is less greasy than shea butter.

Good luck.

Back