Which fats/oils to use for soapmaking?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lanchingmaa

Reaction score
Can someone offer a link to some info regarding which fats or oils to use and why for soap making? I'm just a bit confused when I see about 100 types of fats to use for making soap. Does it matter or are there reasons people are using almost 10 fats for making one type of soap. Just seems really arbitrary.

thanks.

It's not arbitrary but it is personal preference. You don't need multiple oils, soap can be made with just one type of oil, lye and water. Castille soap is just olive oil, lye, water and nothing else. Each oil does have it's own properties and that is why you'll see soaps made with multiple oils. Only certain oils will make your soap hard as a cured bar. These include....

Olive oil - although it can take up to 6 months to cure if used on it's own
Coconut oil
Palm oils
Tallow
Vegetable butters

The other oils are known as soft oils and if used on their own won't make a hard bar of soap. So if you prefer soft oils like rice bran, canola etc, then you will also need to include some hard oils (usually about 30%) in order to make a bar of soap that cures nice and hard. Everyone tends to settle on a mix of oils that they think makes a nice bar of soap, this differs from person to person and their goals in soapmaking.

Each oil behaves differently in soap. With their attributes classified like this...

Lather - how much and what type of suds it produces
Hardness - how it cures
Cleansing - how drying the bar will be on the skin
Emolliency - how softening and soothing it is

I make what I think is a very nice soap with just 2 oils. If you are just starting out find a recipe that's as simple as possible. It will be easier to learn with and also cheaper since you only need a few ingredients. You can always change your recipe on your next batch. Here's a link to an article listing all the different types of oils and how they affect soap.

http://summerbeemeadow.com/content/properties-soapmaking-oils

For a very basic understanding..

Coconut and palm oil are usually included because it creates lots of suds and makes the bar hard. They are necessary if you want to make an all vegetable oil (non castille) soap. They are also drying on the skin so most people keep these oils less than 30% of the recipe.

Tallow makes a very hard bar that's also soothing on the skin but it has few suds (people with an objection to animal oils also don't want to use it, its beef or pig fat). Coconut oil and tallow together will make a hard bar, that's soothing and has suds.

Castor Oil is usually added (5-20%) because it improves the lather of other oils and is very soothing on the skin. But it makes soap soft.

Olive oil is a favourite of a lot of people. It makes a hard bar but few suds and takes a long time to cure. Olive oil lovers often make soap with olive and coconut oil to improve the suds and cure time of the bar. These two oils together make a nice bar. If you want an easy recipe in an all vegetable oil soap this is a pretty good combination to choose.

Vegetable butters are quite expensive so people usually only use them in small quantities (10-20%) in the soap for their skin softening properties and ability to harden the bar. They are by no means necessary and are a bit of a luxury item.

Traditionally soaps were made with either 100% tallow or 100% olive oil. So this modern day malarky of choosing many oils wasn't a concern. However choosing many types of oils makes the hobby fun. :lol:

Awesome response. Thanks so much! Yes today I make my first CP soap. I'll keep it simple and keep away from any additives since I want to see how well I do. Just planning on coconut and lard.

If you type in "soapmaking oil properties" on Google, you will turn up loads of info on what each will impart to a recipe.

After about 100 batches now , I've found that my favourite batches tend to be the simpler ones. Coconut, olive, castor and vegetable shortening (crisco, snowflake, etc) make my favourite bars. I have almond oil and apricot kernel oil, shea, mango and cocoa butter, but I'll be keeping them for my lotions and body butters.

This would approximate a typical batch for me.

Olive - 45%
Coconut -20%
Vegetable Shortening - 25%
Castor 10%

Sometimes I'll vary the percentages within the first 3 ingredients, so I always run the numbers through SoapCalc to check it and to get my water and lye quantities.

Have fun experimenting. It's addictive. :lol:

Coconut and lard should give you a fine soap. Go to:

soapcalc.net

and fiddle around with the relative percentages until you get the properties you like. Do you want more creamy? more cleansing and bubbly? more conditioning? You should be able to get properties in the mid range for most with only these two oils. Actually, the hardness will be on the high end, or even off scale. This is good though.

I would not want to use a soap with lard, since lard (rather than sodium lardate) is part of your super fat. This means some lard does go to your skin. It does not bother a lot of people, but it does bother a lot of other people (myself and most of my veggie customers included). If it does not bother you, then all is fine, because you can make a great soap with just coconut and lard.

Latest posts

Back