What's the Deal with Salt Soap?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I just showered with one of my salt bars, I just love them.They feel like lotion and don't burn in " sensitive areas"....

I purchased salt bars and love them. i want to find a recipe to make one.
I use them on every part of my body and never had a problem. I think they are devine looks and feel.

what is your favorite type of salt to use in them?

Robbiegirl said:

Most people just use 100% coconut oil for salt bars. I ususally use 80% CO and then another oil to up the conditioning value. I don't know if it's really necessary to add a different oil since I use a higher SF for them. I just got used to doing it this way.

You can also use coconut milk or some other liquid instead of water.

Robbiegirl said:

I've used both table salt and sea salt. I prefer fine grained salt. I don't think it really makes a difference as long as you don't use Epsom or dead sea salt.

I use coconut oil, palm kernel oil, castor oil and shea butter...
70% table salt, 20 SF

Honestly you just have to try one to know. I'd been making cp soap for a couple of years before I tried one and always heard this salt soap is great blah blah blah and thought gee what could be so good about salty soap.....but as soon as you try it ...you know lol Words just don't do it justice but its NIIIIIIIIICE lol :D

And about the cyclist who doesn't like it on their nether regions lol I bet that it kills on chafe and saddle sores mehehehehe

Most people love swimming or relaxing in salt water and if you've holiday in the Islands ... places that are hot ... the salt level is higher and you float easier, meaning it may be even more enjoyable. When in salt water ... the salt goes everywhere ... absolutely everywhere.

Salt may sting some people with chaffed or sore spots ... but salt is also the best way to heal these things!

Okay, I'm gonna go for it...when my 7 lb jug of CO gets here later this week!

I am a recent convert to salt soaps. I have been gardening a lot, have multiple scrapes and cuts from the blackberries and roses attacking me. I have been using the salt soaps and they are helping with the skin abuse.

Also wanted to mention that we have been using them as hand soaps, since they do not dissolve all over the dish soap, or less so. Actually not at all. Another reason I like them.

Salt Soap

Question - you talk about 100% salt, do you mean that if you are using 20 oz of oil you use 20 oz of salt? Do you dissolve it in the water before adding the lye? I would like to make some, but not sure when/how, or how much.

Question - you talk about 100% salt, do you mean that if you are using 20 oz of oil you use 20 oz of salt?
Correct. :)

Do you dissolve it in the water before adding the lye?

Nope, no dissolving. You just stir it right into your raw batter 'as is' when it has reached trace- right before you pour into your mold.

IrishLass :)

I just ordered the silicone mold from BB so I can try them, I wish that order would hurry up and get here!

Im gonna borrow Irishlass' recipe...thank you for posting it!

I only use 70% salt, enough for me.You have to add the salt at thicker trace.
I let the trace get really thick before pouring, to make sure, the salt stays where it should.

I went to a local store and bought my first bar of salt soap (Zum Bar)! I also bought an oatmeal bar from a local artisan. I figure that I should probably try them before I go making my own! I'll probably start with the salt bar b/c I'm so curious!

I've ordered some soapmaking books, so I gotta wait a while. I figure these two bars should keep me "occupied" while I read the books, make the soap, and let it cure. I feel a little impatient tho. :wink:

The salt bar is very nice so far! I like it. Might have to make some of my own whenever I get some experience. :)

Kansas Farm Girl said:
Thank you, I too will have to give this a try, hubby likes a HARD bar and one that doesn't turn into a pile of gooo when it gets wet.

My family isn't all that excited about the soap I make, however, I put it in soap dishes once in awhile, lol. I put a salt bar in one and my step-father actually said that he really liked it. That right there is enough evidence for me, lol.

Hazel said:
Robbiegirl said:

Most people just use 100% coconut oil for salt bars. I ususally use 80% CO and then another oil to up the conditioning value. I don't know if it's really necessary to add a different oil since I use a higher SF for them. I just got used to doing it this way.

You can also use coconut milk or some other liquid instead of water.

Robbiegirl said:

I've used both table salt and sea salt. I prefer fine grained salt. I don't think it really makes a difference as long as you don't use Epsom or dead sea salt.
Hazel, do I add the lye to the coconut milk if I make the recipe? I put it in soapcalc using just coconut oil, coconut milk and salt , correct?
I have a silicone mold I purchased and I am thinking those do not need to be lined, correct? I dont know what the heck I am doing...but I want to learn.

Not Hazel, but if you're using 100% coconut milk, then yes you would add the lye to the coconut milk. The first time I did that, I got a layer of fat on the top, and liquid on the bottom. I stirred it up, and the soap came out great anyway. To combat that, I now use the minimum amount of water needed to dissolve the lye, then add the coconut milk immediately after I've added the lye water to the oils (which I learned to do from this forum!)

You can leave the water as is in Soap Calc, just replace the recommended amount with coconut milk.

Silicone molds do not need to be lined. That's why I switched to them. I SUCKED at lining molds!

semplice said:
Not Hazel, but if you're using 100% coconut milk, then yes you would add the lye to the coconut milk. The first time I did that, I got a layer of fat on the top, and liquid on the bottom. I stirred it up, and the soap came out great anyway. To combat that, I now use the minimum amount of water needed to dissolve the lye, then add the coconut milk immediately after I've added the lye water to the oils (which I learned to do from this forum!)

You can leave the water as is in Soap Calc, just replace the recommended amount with coconut milk.

Silicone molds do not need to be lined. That's why I switched to them. I SUCKED at lining molds!
I don't like mold lining.
Perfect information. Just what I wanted to know.

Latest posts

Back