What was the last lesson the soap taught you ?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've learned...CONCENTRATE!!! Even if you've done something many times,if yr mind isn't on the job big booboo's can happen.Routine is a GOOD thing.I recently forgot my eo because it wasn't sitting right next to the pot.Sb'd ITM,lost my swirlies but alls well that ends well but still....And dropped the mould cover on a fresh hot batch so the top's all scored and fugly.Yep,pay attention,and no rushing. :?
Hey but I've also learned,even with 35%LSS high sunflower takes it's own sweet time to trace.Now THAT's a good thing to know..... :)

That with a high lye discount, my current recipe will sweat but only the bottom part, not the part with the TD added.

Today I learned not to skimp on whisks. The two whisks I bought at the dollar tree a few months back both broke in my soap! :shock:

Fortunately, I was able to fish the pieces out.

Jude

What I Learned Last Night:

Blue colorant + soap that is sort of Yellow because of the olive oil = Green + more Blue = Grey (uh-oh) + a BUNCH of Red= a color of deep, dusty pink I can live with for my Lavender soap. Whew!

That I don't have a scale or a bowl big enough to make 10lbs of soap, so... I've had to split it in half... i'll let you know how it turns out! :shock:

IsItSoapYet? said:
What I Learned Last Night:

Blue colorant + soap that is sort of Yellow because of the olive oil = Green + more Blue = Grey (uh-oh) + a BUNCH of Red= a color of deep, dusty pink I can live with for my Lavender soap. Whew!

That happened to me as well, once it cured it turned a nice purple

Label everything.

Keep accurate notes of things, such as:

how long a particular recipe needs in the mold, and

when it was unmolded.

Learned not to try to brush my hair away from my face while soaping. I had my ceiling fan on in the kitchen, I always pull my hair back in a pony tail. The fan kept blowing a few wisps of my hair in my face and I barely touched my face. I apparently got soap on my gloves and did not realize that while pulling my hair back out of my eyes. Needless to say I had to small burns right below my eye. I got the vinegar and ran cool water over it. It scabbed over the next day and was tender for several days. I have always been very careful to follow safety while soaping. I am even more careful now. This could have been a lot worse. Your eyes are our most precious gift without them we would not be able to see all the bubbles that we make!! Please be careful while enjoying your new found hobby. Who would think that just barely pushing your hair out of your eyes you could get your face burned. Take it from me, it happened and did not feel very good. :( :(

learned not to try to do too many things at once, and to always soap in a pristine kitchen. otherwise chaos ensues....

Back