What soapy mistake have you made today?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My laundry soap has plate tectonics, seismic and volcanic activity, and a molten core. It's radiating heat like a newly-formed planet and I'm expecting life to evolve soon if comets impact, bringing water.

Lmfao oh I seriously need to see pictures of this new planet in formation. Too funny.

so I got hungry and went to the kitchen to go get food, but my sugar was low and I've been thinking about the new soap challenge all morning..so instead of food I made soap

It only occured to me that I wasn't in there to do with that when I started leaving the kitchen again, so I put my food in the microwave and turn around-

and my soap has managed to overheat in under five minutes, it has turned into an angry looking soup instead of soap, so then I had to scoop and chunk and pour that back into a bowl and blend it into submission and glop it back in its mold.

See I had decided that if I needed to get to thick trace and set up really quickly to do the inverted stamp I should use a recipe I knew for sure would accelerate, spicey fo plus goats milk and honey

Normally I put this recipe in the freezer immediately, but I had neglected to this time- and its real danged hot in the kitchen, because we've been canning tomatoes and making apple butter all weekend, and we dont use central air.

although I feel like that combination of scent and sugars probably would have overheated in the freezer, that certainly didn't help at all :oops:

Tried out some new sugar plum fragrance. The idea was a deep plum coloured soap with sugar on top. What resulted was a really fast trace, I wasn't expecting it as the fragrance supplier didn't say it was a problem, so I had my colourants ready but added fragrance first to the whole batch. I got soap on a stick immediately, so I then had to wait for it to gel and try and mix one single purple colour in then put the sugar on top. So disappointed :(

It would have been a lovely colour had I had chance to add all the colourant, as it stands it is a horrible pale lilac. I still put the sugar on top to hide it, but it is the worst soap I have made in a long time. On the up side it does smell nice. I think I will have to mix a deep plum colour into the oils next time then combine everything and stir by hand the just dump it into the mould and put the sugar on top. :(

ImageUploadedBySoap Making1438625023.376944.jpg

Seriously Morph, you are a riot! As a geology student in my former years I now need to see this planet birth by photos at least!

Alas, this recipe hardened in record time (2 hours) and passed the zap test at the same moment. I had to unmold and cut into bits before it hardened too much to get the knife through--my food processor is small and won't handle large pieces of soap.

I'll grind to bits today and lay it out to dry for a week or so before turning it into six pounds of laundry detergent.

I smelled a FO sample that came with the patchouli EO my friend sent me...was a big mistake, it smelled like a hamster cage & an hour later (even though I left to come to my moms to babysit my niece in the morning when my dad has surgery) I can still smell it...it won't leave my nose..

I added up how much soap I need to make for Christmas gifts.... mistake....
What am I thinking....

Everyone's getting less than planned LOL :)

Then I counted how much unscented soap I've made and can use...ok got the unscented end covered. :) :) (that was a happy moment).

Then I realized I dont' need to make any more unscented. Sad moment. And I have to wait till sept to make the rest. Sadder moment. Ok, what crazy soap can I try before then hrmmmmm

The Soap behaved badly..

Same recipe
different scent and colorant :( and it was soft that my cutter left visible blade cut. :( Kitten Love.. is what i said. smh

I smelled a FO sample that came with the patchouli EO my friend sent me...was a big mistake, it smelled like a hamster cage & an hour later (even though I left to come to my moms to babysit my niece in the morning when my dad has surgery) I can still smell it...it won't leave my nose..

In the future (since the hamster has probably left your nose by now), try smelling a good, strong citrus scent to clear your nasal passages. It tends to wipe out other scents and leave you with that "lemon fresh" feeling in your nose as well.

Woody scents are particularly famous for hanging around. I personally like cedar scent, but it can be a bit annoying when it clings.

People who depend on their sense of smell (perfume makers, wine QA testers) use coffee as a 'palate cleanser". And it is a good excuse to make coffee!

I even keep a container of coffee on my tables at shows. Once someone smells too many scents they all start to smell the same.

Well, I forged ahead and made a 3lb. batch of Cranberry Orange Marmalade soap. I decided to go the standard rate on oil. Everything went fine until fragrance...stirred it in, and it turned yellow. Lemon yellow. Sigh... so the orange is off, and the red is off. Unwrapped today, and the yellow has thankfully mellowed, but the red and orange still looks weird, and the scent, while good, is really, really strong...made my eyes water strong...so worst comes to worst, I'll rebatch, and have a single color soap.

Latest posts

Back