What soaps are you making for Christmas presents?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Vintageliving

Reaction score
I've made my usual Castille and they are happily curing.

What soaps are you all making for Christmas presents this year?

I thought I would customize to their bathroom colors.. and write names in swirls.. its a thought only at this point.. gona start next week !

I seem to have a high number of relatives that don't seem to give a crap or appreciate my handmade products. Lol. My boyfriends father is the ONLY one who requests anything.

I have a couple of friends who LOVE the soap so they'll get something. Oh and some co-workers.

But I will have plenty of very merry cranberry (WSP) soap. That is a favorite for the holidays. I'm also doing a lot of liquid soap. My brother and his girlfriend just use liquid soap so they might like it this year. lol

Every year my husbands family exchanges small homemade gifts, in years past I have made alot of different things, this year I discovered soap so far I have made:

Castille-unscented
Chocolate/pepperment
Honey/almond
Lemmon grass

Planned for this week:
Pumkin spice
Hot apple pie
peppermint

I am still working out a cute way to package them.

agriffin--I thought *I* was the only one with that problem!!! But I don't let that stop me from giving soap or anything else I handcraft (like socks and scarves)....it's just too bad for them! lol I do it to stay within my budget.

Argh. OK, so you asked a simple question and did not expect a rant in answer.. I had planned to get a small cake mold, make 6 cakes, and then cut the slices so that each sibling gets a cake of 6 different scents.

Anyway, my Mom said not to give her any soap. Anything that is pretty probably does not get her as clean as she wants. What does one say to that? "Do you think I am dirty, Mom?" I am not sure I want the answer to that question :D

I stayed over at my sisters house in June. I took some soap as a hostess gift. This past weekend, I asked how she liked it. She does not know, she is still using the first bar. Well, I guess I have the answer to that question.

it was just a disappointment to find out they don't want it when I had already planned on making some for christmas.

My one sister and my sister-in-law enthusiastically enjoy my soap, so I don't feel too bad.

It did kinda ruin my idea of the cake thing. Now I am back to figuring out what to make for those that like soap and those that don't. And I still have to figure out what category 4 people are in.

End Rant.

ToniD -

Please adopt me. I'd love a soap cake and I'm sure you're very clean. :lol:

I know what you mean. Everyone says they want the soap and then when I ask for feedback it's "Oh, I haven't tried it yet." Except for the beer soap. I swear I'm going to start making only beer soap.

ToniD said:
Argh. OK, so you asked a simple question and did not expect a rant in answer.. I had planned to get a small cake mold, make 6 cakes, and then cut the slices so that each sibling gets a cake of 6 different scents.

Anyway, my Mom said not to give her any soap. Anything that is pretty probably does not get her as clean as she wants. What does one say to that? "Do you think I am dirty, Mom?" I am not sure I want the answer to that question :D

I stayed over at my sisters house in June. I took some soap as a hostess gift. This past weekend, I asked how she liked it. She does not know, she is still using the first bar. Well, I guess I have the answer to that question.

it was just a disappointment to find out they don't want it when I had already planned on making some for christmas.

My one sister and my sister-in-law enthusiastically enjoy my soap, so I don't feel too bad.

It did kinda ruin my idea of the cake thing. Now I am back to figuring out what to make for those that like soap and those that don't. And I still have to figure out what category 4 people are in.

End Rant.

I can totally picture a multi-colored bunt cake of soap! That sound like such a great idea. I would still make them if I was you, and post the pics for us :wink:

My family believes, rightly so, that my soapmaking is something for ME and not realy for them - so gifts of soap are not terribly well received except by my sister who cannot get enough of it.

Even more true now that I'm selling soap.

I just got my christmas EO blends and can't wait to use them!!

By the way... No one appreciates my soap either.. :-( I even had a girlfriend tell me once that is enough soap for now. Over the past 3 months I had given her 3 bars... It isn't junk either... They are 2 great recipes that were shared here... She won't be getting any more soap!

I am sad to hear that so many have a problem with family not liking thier soap!!! :cry: I am having a problem with the few friends/family that I am having test my soap, they keep wanting more! One is an avid hunter & want's nothing but unscented & is asking about laundry soap! Now I am wondering if I can get enough made before Christmas gets here! I will be making two batches tonight......wonder where I will store it to cure?

I love the cake idea! Wish I would of read it before I went to the store for supplies!

Owww...love love the cake idea... how lovely.

I'm lucky I spose my family & friends just love the soap & I can't keep up to it. Might have to start making bigger batches I think.

I've got around 100 batches, sitting and curing, since last year at this time. Last year, I did around 10 batches, let people pick the soaps they wanted, some Whipped Body Frosting (in different scents), a puff and a candle. This year, lotion, emulsified bath scrub, lip balm, solid perfumes, bath salts and their pick of soap. I want to taylor the sets to each person's preference (sister-in-laws mostly), even the one that doesn't like scents at all, so she'll get light scent or fragrance free. I just have to get to each one and see what they want for Christmas. The guys, they aren't really too choosey. Most times, my brothers wife comes by and picks something out every now and then or I pass on some lotion I need tested. My sister does, somewhat, but her sinuses go crazy after sniffing just a couple of f/o's.

I don't have much to add to the conversation since this will be my first year giving soap. My husband and I picked some great fragrances from BB, and I guess it depends on how many bars we can produce, per budget, and still give them time to cure. Those close to us will be getting soap and homemade jelly/salsa/chutney, and those with higher shipping costs will be getting a few extra bars of soap.

I loved reading all your posts and seeing everyone's responses to soap for Christmas. Thankfully, we grew up as country hicks and have made everything ourselves while growing up. So my family at least appreciates the hard work that goes into homemade products, even if it's not a product they are totally excited about. My dad will probably shrug, say "That was nice," use the soap, and go on with his life. It's pretty normal.

hehehe...same story here. My in-laws, VERY conservative farm people, used to give me a hard time with comments like "how much soap do you NEED anyway" and "where you gonna put all this soap" yatta yatta yatta. Suddenly when I started selling it, they decided it was great and can't get enough. I honestly think they feel like they're getting something for nothing now. Other than that, extended family doesn't seem to care too much. My sister is nuts for it, tho, and my sons will clean me out of cedarwood if I don't keep an eye on them when they visit.

I'm doing matching lotion bars and salt bars for friends for Christmas. Everyone seems to appreciate them. We don't exchange gifts in the family anymore. Too many of us.

Everyone in my family/friends is getting a gift bag per family:

Bar soap
solid Sugar Scrub
Lip balm
Lotion
European style wash mitts that I dye/sew with silky bamboo fabrics

My mom is getting some giant wooden scissors as a decoration for her quilting room as well as a whole log of white tea and ginger soap (her favorite...definitely not mine...I am dreading stinking up the house for however many weeks on that one...maybe I'll be sure to make the peppermint mocha batch SOON after lol).

On the relatives and bar soap issue - I find we are living in a predominantly liquid soap era. I am not a huge fan of dealing with perservatives (only because I am never certain I used enough or how effective it is...I'm a ninny that way) so oh well if they don't like it. I put lots of thought into the scents and colors I use for each person...hopefully they appreciate that at least.

I'm planning on making hot cocoa soap. I've got a 2' section of 3" PVC I plan to hack into 2" deep rounds. I have a 1/2" thick plastic pipe I plan to cut into sections and use them to make "marshmallows". I plan to cover the 3" pipe bottoms, pour in the "hot cocoa" soap, and top with my mini-marshmallows.

Beckis19 said:
I'm planning on making hot cocoa soap. I've got a 2' section of 3" PVC I plan to hack into 2" deep rounds. I have a 1/2" thick plastic pipe I plan to cut into sections and use them to make "marshmallows". I plan to cover the 3" pipe bottoms, pour in the "hot cocoa" soap, and top with my mini-marshmallows.

i am doing this too, but i was just going to use an old cup for some white soap, then once it is hard and ready to cut but still slightly soft, i was going to dice it into mini marshmallow sized pieces then kinda roll the marshmallows around in my hands to round them up a bit.

Latest posts

Back