What other oils do salt bars benefit from besides coconut and castor oil?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cvallis

Reaction score
I was thinking about making my first salt bar and was wondering what other oil or butter would be nice to add to a classic coconut & castor oil recipe. Was thinking about using beer as liquid too. Any suggestions from you wise soapers? :)

I typically use 80% coconut oil, 5% castor, then 15% sweet almond or avocado. I SF at 20% but I know a lot of soapers like a smaller SF percentage. I just hate to feel tight/dry so it works for me.

Good luck, I love salt bars! It is easiest in individual molds if you got them. Every time I try a loaf they get too hard before I realize its time to cut.

I find butters and palm oil will deter lather. Avocado I do not find does anything either. It is a no miss with 90% CO, 10% Castor. I have tried many different formulas in my 5+ yrs of making salt bars and always go back to this recipe

My favorite so far is 80% coconut, 15% OO and 5% castor. I've tried avocado and shea in place of the OO and found they reduce lather too much. Used 20% lard once, it was nice too.

hahaha, I love how we all love our recipes. That's one of the things that keeps soaping fun and interesting to me.

I make a lot of salt soaps, would say they're my favorite to use and make. I use

CO 75%
Avocado 15%
Castor 5%
Butter, (mango or shea) 5% ( i can hear Craig groan. :) )

Superfat at 20% with a 50% salt to oils ratio.

They lather like a dream and aren't drying in the least.

I bought a salt soap that I absolutely adore. The ingredients were coconut, sunflower, and castor. I personally like 50% salt as I find any more seems to really cut the lather even though I use 80% coconut.

I used to use 75%-100% salt but recently switched to 50%. I didn't find any benefit from using higher amounts except to make it harder to swirl.

I use 100-110% salt with 15% superfat. Because I use such high salt I do not use other oils than co and castor. I like my bars to look and feel like a chunk of smooth cement. I have two right now sitting side by side and the one with 10% avocado 5% castor does not really feel as nice as the co & castor. But that is my opinion. I save the expensive avocado oil for using in a bar that will get more benefit by using a higher percentage

100% Coconut oil (no castor, no butters, just coconut)

100% Coconut milk

13% superfat (without calculating the fat in the coconut milk)

25% salt (by oil weight)

*credit to IrishLass, it's her recipe

My favorite so far is 80% coconut, 15% OO and 5% castor. I've tried avocado and shea in place of the OO and found they reduce lather too much. Used 20% lard once, it was nice too.

This is my go to recipe for salt bars as well. Use 20% sf and 50% salt

hahaha, I love how we all love our recipes. That's one of the things that keeps soaping fun and interesting to me.

I make a lot of salt soaps, would say they're my favorite to use and make. I use

CO 75%
Avocado 15%
Castor 5%
Butter, (mango or shea) 5% ( i can hear Craig groan. :) )

Superfat at 20% with a 50% salt to oils ratio.

They lather like a dream and aren't drying in the least.

beachy, i might just try your recipe... sounds very interesting. thanks for sharing..

100% Coconut oil (no castor, no butters, just coconut)

100% Coconut milk

13% superfat (without calculating the fat in the coconut milk)

25% salt (by oil weight)

*credit to IrishLass, it's her recipe

what is the actual SF at the end? i'm no good at math, otherwise i would calculate it myself :D

It depends on the fat content of the coconut milk used but I figured on average, using half coco milk will raise the SF 5-8%. When I use coco milk, I only do 50% and SF at 15%.

what is the actual SF at the end? i'm no good at math, otherwise i would calculate it myself :D

It depends on the fat content of the coconut milk used but I figured on average, using half coco milk will raise the SF 5-8%. When I use coco milk, I only do 50% and SF at 15%.

Yeah, sounds right. Using Goya Coconut milk, only one I use and know the numbers on, adds between 6 and 7 percent super fat.

Latest posts

Back