What kind of cutter is this?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I went there yesterday and looked at some stuff - but I could not get a shipping calculation before pressing order, so I backed off. I get that it is expensive to ship from Japan - but what you were charged seems like a lot! Glad I waited!

I went there yesterday and looked at some stuff - but I could not get a shipping calculation before pressing order, so I backed off. I get that it is expensive to ship from Japan - but what you were charged seems like a lot! Glad I waited!
I know! I'm pretty annoyed because they said that once the shipping was calculated I would get to approve the order. Ha ha. That didn't materialize. Most of the emails I received were in Japanese.
Again, I wonder if the shipping charge has a minimum rate and that if I had made a bigger order it wouldn't have gone up much more. I'll never know because I have now ordered more soap supplies than I can justify. Think I've spent more on soap in the last year than I have over my whole life.

Okay, just got the shipping news from Rakuten. When I ordered they said that they would have to calculate shipping later and I could confirm the order once I knew what it was. I ordered the soap cutter and miter box, which totaled $28.68. I just saw that my credit card was charged for $58.47, which puts the shipping around $30 or double what I ordered. Not thrilled with that. I wonder if I had ordered more if the shipping would have gone up as much. It might be worth having a slightly larger order to warrant those shipping charges. In any event, this was more than I wanted to spend, but I'm sure I will happily use these items for years to come.

That was not fair! Taking money from your card without order confirmation... it's a big no-no.
I didn't have this problem, maybe because I pay with paypal and they need to send me new payment notification with a URL if they want to see any money.
That is dissapointing. I will not recommend them to anyone.

@Martha @Clarice I have this problem too. One can think that making your own soap is frugal, but if I will calculate all soap expenses (molds, stamps, silicon for DIY molds, fragrances etc.) it will turn that some of bars are made from pure gold.

I KNOW!

I am reminded of a shirt my brother has:

Give a man a fish, he eats for a day
Teach a man to fish, and watch $10,000 fly out the door for lures, rods, reels.......

I'm in the same boat!
That is hilarious!!

That was not fair! Taking money from your card without order confirmation... it's a big no-no.
I didn't have this problem, maybe because I pay with paypal and they need to send me new payment notification with a URL if they want to see any money.
That is dissapointing. I will not recommend them to anyone.

@Martha @Clarice I have this problem too. One can think that making your own soap is frugal, but if I will calculate all soap expenses (molds, stamps, silicon for DIY molds, fragrances etc.) it will turn that some of bars are made from pure gold.

Please don't feel bad about suggesting that supplier. I was curious about that cutter and you helped me find the exact one. If I was really horrified, I would contact my credit card company and dispute the charge. I guess I'll just make more pure gold soap bars! :rolling:

Last edited by a moderator:
Rushing off to create my pure gold bar

Don't feel at ALL bad @aksamitka! they have some cool stuff - I may try to email them and ask about "slow boat" shipping!

Let me know if that's an option. Ack. See? I can't freakin' help myself. Gah. Must actually make soap instead of fill my tiny apartment with equipment.

Hi dibbles - do you have any idea of cost for the Serko cutter mold? I can't find any hints on the blog. He's booked until May this year so he's obviously doing a good job.
I'm sorry, I don't know what the cost of that cutter is. She does say to contact her by email [email protected] on her blog. Also, the waiting list is into May 2019, so it will be awhile before she can build and deliver. They are beautiful though.

IMG_3945.JPG

I refuse to pay for just about any soap cutter I’ve seen on the market, professional or otherwise. I’m an avid DIYer and I have construction experience and a good variety of hand and powered tools, so I will be building my own for a mere fraction of the cost. Already purchased the guitar strings (even the thinnest strings available will be strong enough to cut soap), the HDPE sheets, and the guitar tuner pegs. I’m also planning to build my own molds for doing them fancy swirly designs. Any leftover material will probably be used to make another mold.

Thanks @geniash I’ll look up coping saws.

Thanks @lsg ! I have a straight sided knife that works fairly well for me now, although a mitre box could help with getting straighter lines.

@Misschief Is a cheese wire cutter strong enough? I’m not ready to pay for those wire soap cutters just yet and that could be a good option.

@SaltedFig The photo is a screenshot from one of Etsuko Watanabe’s YouTube videos. She uses this saw in pretty much every one I’ve seen and it seems to work well. Here’s one of her videos. Worth watching. She makes gorgeous soap.

Wow awe struck.

Last edited by a moderator:

Now here’s another amazing soap cutter. Out of my league for now, but anyone know what this one is? Looks like you can adjust where the soap hits the wire, so you can really adjust the size of the final bars. Very cool!

OMG! I think I just found my new project! That soap cutter is freakin genius!

Latest posts

Back