What inspired your business name?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dawni

Reaction score
This has probably been asked before but I couldn't find anything really recent, and the names on the older posts aren't familiar to me.. And I was curious about you guys, who I interact with now here.

I'm in the process of thinking about mine.... I'm not stumped per se, but I have so many ideas lol I'm finding it difficult to narrow down and organize my thoughts.

I like my name but I'm 50/50 on using it.. Mainly coz many people mispronounce it here lol. I also have a lot of other words that I like that "describe" my soap (and other future products) and that convey the thought behind my soap being the way they are. Some of these are raw, earth, natural, basic, undressed, real, true, earthbound...

I'm not even sure if that's how I'm supposed to go about this haha.

What inspired, or what is the basis or story behind your business name? If you don't have a soap or bath & body business I'm still curious. If you're keen to share your logo I'm keen to know about that too.

well I was bummed at first cuz the one I wanted was already in use. but I was talking to my oldest son and he was wondering why I wasn't trying to use the name of my farm in it some how (I really loved my little farm but lost it due to losing my job). so after talking with him for awhile we came up with a name that worked for me
so try to find something that means a lot to you. maybe even use the initials of you kids. when I was doing the bees I used the initials of my grandkids and a friend who was helping me had a gson that I put in there also

ACTZ is all our initials. My daughter and I are C's, hubby's are the T's and A is my granddaughter Autumn with the Z being our last names. My daughters husband took our name when they married. So Actz Cosmetics was born. :D

ETA: ACTZ is a dba. When my daughter first started she was CZ Wick and Suds, then she found out she hated making candles. I told her from the get go to not limit the name like she did.

Last edited:
When I started my business I was only making candles, and it's such a PITA to change or do a dba, that I just kept it.

Growing up my mom had a little small business for her ceramics and crocheted items and it was her first name + attic, so at the time I never thought about it, but now I believe that's why I was drawn to the name attic, and hence, The Candle Attic was born.

I do have a website, but it is sorely out of date, and needs working on when/if I ever get time to do such a thing...

Eh? All these months here and it's the first time I'm hearing your business names lol very interesting stories.

@Nanette.. Cute! Hehe

@jcandleattic and @cmzaha, part of the struggle is that - thinking of a name that would encompass what all I plan to do. Soaps are a definite, but balms, creams, shampoo bars, etc. will also be there so I don't actually want the word "soap" like most local companies do.

@Cellador my last name will be too long for a company name hehe and will always be misspelled lol

@Marilyn Norgart my sons and I all have names that start with D. I am keeping that as an option too but it's not one of my favorites. I wish they spelled out something cool like @cmzaha hehe

Soon as I get my lists sorted out more maybe I'll share my ideas for mine nd get a vote if I can't decide haha

Soaps are a definite, but balms, creams, shampoo bars, etc.
I've been thinking of going to the SOS or wherever it is (can't remember off the top of my head) to legally change my business name to The Candle Attic and gifts or something like that, but don't want to take the time or spend the money (even though I dont' think it's really all that expensive)

My business name is Mission Meadows Soapery. We live in an area of town called the Lower Mission; there's an organic vegetable garden where we like to shop occasionally and their name is Old Meadows Farm. It's also an area where I enjoy walking. The Soapery is self-explanatory. If we decide to move out of this town, I can still keep the name as it's somewhat non-specific. My logo (which I've slightly modified so it's a little more balanced left and right)....
mission-meadows.jpg

@Misschief I've always really liked your company name.
I agree. It has such a classy, elegant vibe to it.
@Dawni Have you thought about using Dawn somehow? Your name (kind of) but also like daybreak.
Yes. But this lol
I like my name but I'm 50/50 on using it.. Mainly coz many people mispronounce it here lol.
Most say Don, which isn't so bad, but some actually say Down, and several actually call me something that sounds like loan lol

However, I have some scribbled. My SO actually says it's better than anything I could possibly think of, my name alone but I think it's too short for a brand/business name?

Some of the names on my list.. Most are suggestions from others hehe
Dawn to Earth (my current fave)
Dawn Naturals
Up by/til Dawn
Dawn Organics (not sure coz I can't claim even 80% organic ingredients)
Naturally Dawn
Real Dawn

I even have a tagline of sorts - Real. Rustic. Raw - but I'm also undecided in that hehehe

Originally in the early 2000's I had DoodleBug Soaps, since my Mum called me DoodleBug. But since I didn't Register it and then didn't do much in soaping for a while , someone took it. Even though they were not near my state I just didn't want there to be any mistakes.

Since I am going to have a Farm (soon I hope) I wanted a name that would go across anything that I may sell. And I decided to make my soaps to look like my name... Rustic. So Rustic Life Farm came to be.
I too need to finish taking pics of my soaps on the website. Just got sidetracked and have not finished :(

Since I don't know how you like your name pronounced, I don't know how to illustrate. But you know how in a dictionary they spell how a word is pronounced instead of the actual spelling. I have seen that in brand names sometimes but I can't think of one right now.

Ohhh! I get it. Most probably won't even if I spelled it out phonetically. They'll probably wonder at the weird letters lol

I'm used to me being called Dawn, sounds like lawn, or fawn... I guess for some of you that doesn't really sound very different if you say Don (and the Brits say it better even lol), but here that O isn't elongated and "soft" but short and sharp. The shape of the mouth is more O than AW. In emails, even when it's spelled out, I get a lot of "Dear Mr. Dawn" lol

And there's this lol
IMG_20190821_100327.jpg

Somewhere else it says dahn.

Latest posts

Back