What Bath & Body Thing Have You Done Today?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've been making small batches of Zany's MSM Cream for myself and my husband and it was time to make more. That's what I did this morning.

View attachment 76800
@Misschief, does this work well for you guys? Have been thinking of making something for the pain in my hands but not sure where to start. Did you use emu oil or sub in something else?

ETA: @AliOop, do you think adding magnesium oil to this would help or hinder? I wasn't sure if there would be PH issues since although I remember you saying that mg oil isn't oil, I don't know what it actually *is*. So wasn't sure if the fact that it is not anhydrous would destabilize the existing PH. Also, I remember reading that mag oil was poorly absorbed by the skin, but that emu oil is a natural penetration enhancer so thought it might be a good combo unless otherwise contraindicated.

Last edited:
Interesting thoughts, @not_ally. I haven't noticed any significant pH changes when using Mag oil, but I only have only added it to one formulation. I'd be interested to hear if you did add this to an MSM cream, with or without emu oil.

FWIW, the mag oil definitely penetrates our skin when we apply it. It prevents severe leg cramps for my husband; when he forgets it, they come back. The results for me are better sleep. YMMV. ;)

@Misschief, does this work well for you guys? Have been thinking of making something for the pain in my hands but not sure where to start. Did you use emu oil or sub in something else?

I've noticed that it does seem to help for my hands. I have arthritis in one finger on my right hand it I have de Quervain's in both my wrists (like carpal tunnel but in a different joint) and the cream does seem to help but I do need to remember to use it. LOL

Emu oil is one of my favourite skin oils and I do use it in this recipe.

I have de Quervain's too! Have had surgery for that, plus trigger thumb, plus carpal tunnel in both wrists! It seems like once this stuff starts it never ends, doesn't it? OK, I guess I I have to get some emu oil. Thank you.

ETA: @AliOop, I'm glad to hear that the mag oil is so effective. I hope I can find a place that has both that and emu oil. Does the acquisition of weird ingredients ever end? No need to answer :)

Last edited:
Last week i decided to improve my body cream formula using Humblebee's tips. I reduced the amount of ewax and increased the cetearyl alcohol, and added some polyquat-7. Not sure if the polyquat-7 did anything, but reducing the ewax totally fixed the "soapiness" i used to get with my cream. Plus, it feels more airy (to the extent that a 13% of oils can feel airy without whipping it). The one i poured into the container when it was still very liquid feels kinda bouncy and like i can squish it with my finger when i poke it. A very luxe feeling imo.

I scented half my batch with "Fleur d'oranger et vanille" from scent memory, i think it will be perfect for spring time.

1000043278.png
1000043277.png

I like the lys size....same as the pringles can. Wink wink.
Plus, pringles can doesn't leave a groove like the silicone column mold i bought. I could not find a pvc pipe the right size. I also like the fact that I can rip the can off if i can't get the freezer paper out easily...i need to hunt for a pusher or have hubby make me one.

I prefer silicone molds to the PVC or the rigid acrylic mold as i am so very impatient. Hahaha

I only bring to emulsify, then stir a bit of batter into my well mixed mica/oil colorants, then pour that into my divided batter containers, spatula stirring until uniformly combined, i am a hoot to watch as i am like an octopus stirring each division to keep the soap moving...then pour into squeeze bottles and now i am swirling the bottle vs shaking ( air bubbles if you shake).

I have learned to mix my eo blend into the whole emulsion with a whisk until incorporated. I only stick blend for a few minutes tops, scraping down sides and bottom of container until emulsion.

I soap at around 85-90 when I do 6 colors.

I also have a loaf mold ready on standby if things don't go as planned. I actually ended up with a happy accident when my eo blend misbehaved and riced on me..
Had volume loss and a huge clean up chore, but ended up with a "one time only" soap which people want now. This craft is so fun, even when it isn't.
I hate to be a buzz kill but could we keep this thread for bath & body, please? There's a thread for anything soap related already: What Soapy Thing Did You Do Today? This thread is intended for bath and body products that aren't soap.

Thank you for understanding.

@vnikolic and @not_ally, your posts regarding the pull through have been moved to the Photo Gallery under Pullthrough, if you wish to discuss this further between you, post on that thread. As @Misschief has said, this thread is for Bath and Body related posts.

Just popping in to sing the praises of pine tar. I made a pine tar salve awhile back. Recently, the dermatologist used a ton of frozen nitrogen on my face and scalp. These burn marks usually take weeks to heal. I've been putting pine tar salve on and I swear I can see healing within hours. The daily change is dramatic. Course I lost my recipe! I searched on here and know that it has pine tar, coconut oil, beeswax, and castor oil.

Just popping in to sing the praises of pine tar. I made a pine tar salve awhile back. Recently, the dermatologist used a ton of frozen nitrogen on my face and scalp. These burn marks usually take weeks to heal. I've been putting pine tar salve on and I swear I can see healing within hours. The daily change is dramatic. Course I lost my recipe! I searched on here and know that it has pine tar, coconut oil, beeswax, and castor oil.
If you find it, I'd be very interested in it, @Zing

@Zing, father of @Sting, I haven't used pine tar before, didn't know it worked on the liquid nitrogen burns. Something to think about.

D’oh!
Homer_Doh - Discord Emoji

Seriously, though, I hope you can find it. Or recreate it even better!

Earlier this week, I purchased a recipe for Jelly Soap, made with carrageenan. I played around with it today, making two small batches (250 ml each). Batch #1 wasn't a complete success; I didn't bring it to a high enough temperature and it ended up kind of mushy rather than jiggly. Batch #2 was perfect, possibly even a little too thick. This stuff is fun! It's scented it with BRV.

Jelly Soap!.png

I should be making shampoo bars this weekend but, instead, I'm playing with lotions. I've been doing a lot of reading about humectants and the three components all creams and lotions should have (occlusives, humectants, and emollients). I decided to do some testing.

The cream on the right (the white one) was made with the DIY Bath & Body lotion concentrate. My 5% additives were Panthenol, Propanediol 1,3, Trehalose, Xylitol, and Betaine. The last three were a recommendation from a cosmetic chemist, all are humectants. According to him, he uses betaine in all his lotion recipes. Apart from a bit of soaping, it turned out really well.

The cream on the left is a recipe from Indigo & Shea, on YouTube, Cloudberry Luxe Face Lotion. I was missing one ingredient and had to sub something for the cloudberry oil, which I don't have. Instead, I used Marula oil. The texture of this cream is amazing. I'm really torn between these two creams.

The Cloudberry cream goes on like silk, soaks in quickly and leaves my skin feeling soft and moisturized. The DIY cream also goes on smoothly, and soaks in quickly. As mentioned, there's a bit of soaping but it goes away quickly. The Cloudberry cream does have more of a "high end" feel to it. I have to say, I'm really happy with both of these creams. Now, for the day to day testing.

20240407_085515_HDR.jpg

After spending a couple of days in bed with a whopper of a head cold, I entertained myself this evening by ordering everything I need to make the DIY B&B shampoo and conditioner bars. After reading up at Chemists Corner, I decided to skip adding extracts and hydrolyzed protein for now. I also picked up some kokum butter to try in lip balm.

Latest posts

Back