Wesley, my younger cousin, spoke today!

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TessC

Reaction score
My younger cousin Wes, who was in a horrible car accident on New Years, clearly and undeniably spoke today! His mom has been saying that he's talking to her for a while now but in all honesty, nobody else could decipher actual speech and it was put down as a mother's wishful thinking. Nobody faulted her for it, it's just that the sounds he was making weren't distinguishable as anything but random sounds to anyone else who heard them. Today, though, he clearly and distinctly said, in front of several people, "I want to go home, mom." That's so frigging huge and exciting, omg!

They're talking about moving him to a facility in Alabama that specializes in brain and spine injuries since he has both, the place apparently has a really good rehab program and he's going to need it. Nobody likes the idea of him being so far away, but on the other hand if it's what's best for him in the long run, so be it. They're talking about physical therapy, both before and after his halo is removed, speech therapy, and a whole lot more that didn't really sink in enough for me to remember it right now. I do remember Aunt Crystal saying that he's going to have to relearn very basic things like brushing his teeth and tying his shoes. She also said that Wes is really agitated right now, he's had to be restrained because he wants to pull out his feeding tube and catheter and whatnot, but I can't say that I wouldn't be cranky over all of that stuff if I were in his shoes. Since he's not processing things normally, they can't just tell him to leave the tubes alone, so the restraints are a necessary evil.

Aunt Crystal is so tired and this whole thing has taken a huge toll on her, but today went a long way toward making up for the last two months, this is the happiest anyone has heard her in so long. Very Happy

ETA: His mom sent me two pics from her phone, they're here:

http://imgur.com/96EUi.jpg
http://imgur.com/QN1Wx.jpg

Tess, so glad to hear positive improvements!

The brain is a wonderous thing, it will take time and dedication but its a start, and Im sure he will be feeling better soon... I dont blame him for the agitation too... Id want to rip everything out and run!

That is wonderful news, Tess.....continuing to send good thoughts and prayers to your cousin, you and your family!
Susan

Latest posts

Back