Weird zappy soap

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fragola

Reaction score
The weird part is that only half of a split batch is zappy. Anybody can help me figure this one out ?

The story goes like this: I was testing some colors and split a small batch in 2, one CP, one HP.

The CP was further split in 2: gelled and ungelled. These 2 stopped zapping after few days.

Few other differences for the HP are the added sugar and glycerin (about 5%) and some EOs.

The HP part was cooked in a double boiler for more than 1 hour, while stirring. It turned into a very thick paste, but was still zapping too much. At that point, I felt that I need to fix something, so I added an extra 10% superfat, mixed it in as well as I could with a spoon, put it into molds and went to bed, since it was very late.

Now, almost 2 weeks later, it still zaps (even checked with the pH meter). I cut a slice and I got tiny droplets of lye. What could have happened ?

The sad part: it's the prettiest smelling soap ever :(

Since you've had so much work to do with all those batches at the same time, did you split at a very light trace?

It looked to me like a medium trace. The point where it does pour, but does that a bit sluggish.

And how would that explain the perfect CP batches ?

I did everything by hand whisking and I noticed no separation.

Palm 50g
Hemp 30g
Lye 27g (1:1 water solution) + water 25ml

Temperature: room temperature (equal for all ingredients).

How did I get fake trace for only half of the batch ? The first half was poured immediately as I reached trace.

My understanding was that fake trace happens only with solid oils, both my oils were liquid.

The HP split half added 1/2 t of glycerine and when it was boiled thicker, 1/2t sugar and 1/4t salt, dissolved in a little hot water. Plus 3t oil, few minutes before pouring into molds.

Also, I thought that fake trace is bad because you get separation. No separation was visible, but now I am wondering if you can have invisible separation.

The follow-up:
I was about to rebatch it, and as soon as it was melted and mixed, the zapping disappeared miraculously.

So I added even more oil and molded again.

Now I am fairly certain that this is either the best soap or the worst soap I'll ever make.

Latest posts

Back