Washing utensils

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

seven

Reaction score
Those of u who does cp must already know that washing the containers afterwards is a major pain in da butt. All that raw soap, the stickiness from the oils that wont go away, etc

This is how i washed my utensils, scrub them 1st using a big bristle brush (to get rid of the raw soap), then use the sponge with soap and water.

I also disinfect, so to speak, once a week. Dump them all in a big wide bucket that's been filled with boiling water. Also added some dettol as a disinfectant.

Do you have any other (easier) ways to clean? Does disinfecting really necessary? And does it really matter if we keep our containers supah dupah clean? Or the lye will take care of the nasty germs left behind?

Do share... This has been bugging my mind quite a bit. I'm always scared i aint clean enough and it'll affect my soaps..

I just rinse anything that was used for mixing the lye and put those in the dishwasher. Then put all the other soap pots/bowls/tools in the laundry sink overnight so the mess can saponify and be easy to clean the next day. The following day I give them a quick rinse to get the bulk off and put those bits into the dishwasher as well. Easy, no fuss. I don't disinfect, I figure the dishwasher hits em hard enough.

Unfortunately, i dont have a dishwashing machine :D washing is done by hand. That is a good tip to leave them overnight to let saponification. I think it'll be easier to clean that way, compared to raw soap that is still sticky like hell... It does makes sense logically...

I find that my dishwasher from circa 1983 leaves a greasy film on everything if I put raw soap in it.

I wipe out as much as I can of the raw batter with rags. Then let it sit over night to saponify. Then the next day I wash everything in hot water and it is usually alright. Sometimes it is a bit oily, but it doesn't bother me.

I washed all my equipment with dishwasher. However my dishwasher broke a couple weeks ago. I researched the net that you can get rid grease with baking soda and washing soda (i don't know what is washing soda. Is washing soda same as baking soda?). I haven't try cleaning with baking soda yet to tell you if baking soda works or not.

I wipe out as much as I can of the raw batter with rags. Then let it sit over night to saponify. Then the next day I wash everything in hot water and it is usually alright. Sometimes it is a bit oily, but it doesn't bother me.

I do exactly the same thing. I use cleaning rags that have been used already and need to be laundered anyway. By the time I throw them in the laundry, the soap batter is saponified and my cleaning rags smell pretty when they're done.

I leave my mixing bowls and spatulas out to set up for the next day (or 12) and then use a spent gift card to scrape everything into a scrap bag that I will end up rebatching into hand soaps. The scraping actually makes pretty little curly ques if you wanted you could throw them into another soap for confetti or top a new soap with them. If your into that kind of thing.

Last edited:
There were some great tips in my cleanup thread. I now use the blue paper towels and cleaning is much easier!

I just go at with hot water and some normal washing up liquid - gloves, on, of course.

I don't use anything that has touched lye or soap batter for anything other than soaping. The only thing that is both kitchen and soaping is the saucepan I use to heat up the oil - the oil is poured in to a bucket and the lye solution is added to that, keeping the saucepan oil only.

All my soaps are at least 8% SF so my utensils are quite greasy even if I let them sit around for a few days before washing. I'll have to try baking soda and washing soda, see if that will cut at least some of the oily residue.

Ira, washing soda is different then baking soda. You can find washing soda with the laundry detergents.

I see no reason to go through a specific disinfection process. This seems unnecessary to me given that all you are cleaning up is soap and oils. I don't disinfect any of my food plates or other dishes, and my soaping utensils are certainly much cleaner than those.

Thank you for sharing guys...

Boyago, that is a great tip. I hate wasting as well, so i might try your tip to save the scraps.

I find the need to disinfect as i cant seem to get my utensils 'clean' clean. There's always a bit sticky residue from the oils leaving a thin film :(

Last edited:
Some great ideas here! I like the wiping with rags that end up in the laundry pile. This can help cut down on laundry detergent needed. I usually wipe everything down, do a wash with very hot water and let everything dry in a bucket. Then a few days later do a light wash again to get rid of any remaining greasy feel.

Seven, I'm like you. I have a hard time not feeling like I have to disinfect everything. After making lotions, etc for a couple of years it's hard to remind myself that I don't need to do the alcohol spray down before and sonic cleaner after to disinfect all of the bacteria, etc out of my soaping stuff.

Latest posts

Back