Vitamin E question

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

godschild

Reaction score
Does anyone put vitamin e in their soap at the end of soaping to make them not go bad? I saw on a video I watched at one time or read somewhere (I can't remember) that if you put it in your superfats that it will keep dos away and keep it from going bad. I know you can put vit e in your oils to help give them a longer shelf life but will adding it in my superfats really help at all to keep dos away and give my finished soap a longer shelf life?

I am just a newbie but from what I know, soaps with higher levels of SF [maybe like 20% or more etc], especially if short shelf life oils are used, may be a little bit more prone to DOS as they did not go through the saponification process. Vitamin E is an antioxidant and may help to prolong the shelf life and delay rancidity. I hope I helped !

The higher the superfat, the higher the chances of DOS because there are more unsaponified oils left in the soap. I add a few drops of Vit. E to all of my recipes; but I rarely go above 5% superfat unless I am making salt bars.

I add it to mine as well just in case it will help. Haven't had any dos yet. I have been using vit e from the health food store but I want to order some T-50 this week. Now to find out how much of it to put in each 74oz batch :)

ROE (rosemary oleoresin extract link)
is an Antioxidant that slow down the oxidation of the oils. It’s the oxidation of the oils that causes rancidity.

Recommended dosage varies by Manufacturer. Let's use .08% ROE to total oils. So if you use 5% Caster in every batch then spiking Castor with ROE makes sense. Saves time and ensures uniformity. Also spiking a Hi-Lino oil like Hemp or Sunflower with ROE the oil will keep better and longer.

Let's do the Math!
50% Olive Oil
25% Lard/ Palm
20% Coconut
5% Castor/ROE Blend
3000 g oils

3000 x .0008 (.08%) = 2.4 grams ROE needed
The Castor oil addition is 5% or 1/20th the batch.
Multiply .0008 x 20 = .016

Test
3000 g batch. 5% castor = 150 g Castor needed
3000 g oils x .0008 = 2.4 g ROE addition needed
150 g Castor/ROE Blend = 150 x .016 ROE = 2.4 g ROE

Make the Castor / ROE Blend
Add 16 g ROE (1000 g x .016) to 1000 g of Castor. Use this Castor/ROE solution each time you want 5% Castor / .08% ROE in your soap!
Roy

if you have both ROE and vit. E, just use one of them and not both. someone posted in another thread, (i think it was eucalypta) a report by Kevin Dunn about preserving soap, and he mentioned that using both only made it worse. someone might think that by using both might serve as double strength, but that's not the case.

For Vitamin E.
Make sure you get the natural stuff and not the synthetic kind. I did some reading and the synthetic kind does nothing to help with prolonging the shelf life of oils.

Natural will have: d-alpha tocopherol
Synthetic will have
dl-alpha tocopherol

Back