Using Milk in CP Recipe

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fullamoon

Reaction score
I've come across recipes that call for "milk" - not goat's milk, just plain old milk. Do they mean milk I purchase at the grocer that comes in a gallon? Or do they mean fresh from the cow? I know this sounds like a silly question but until now I haven't considered using anything other than water as my liquid. Doesn't the milk curdle when the oils saponify? How does it withstand the heat?

You can use cows milk, from the store, or fresh, or coconut milk, or buttermilk, or cream, or half and half, or yogurt, or .....

If you want to use all milk for your liquid, freeze it before you add your lye. That will keep it from getting so hot that it scalds the milk. stir well cuz you can't see when the lye is dissolved like you can in water.

Or you can mix your lye into water--use at least the same amount of water as lye. Then you can use milk as the rest of your liquid. In that case, you don't add it to your lye water. I add the milk to my oils before the mix. Some people add it at trace.

Milk soaps can overheat a bit easier than water soaps, in which case they get a tan color. they will be darker than water soaps anyway.

I often use either cream or buttermilk, I think the lather is richer than with water.

Latest posts

Back