used coconut milk..is this normal?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kaelily

Reaction score
I use a wooden mold and didn't insulate or cover the top because I used coconut milk...it still overheated but not much...there are just a couple of tiny little cracks on top. This is the second time using coconut milk and the second time where the inside is darker. On this batch, the inside looks like a dark green square.....just wondered if this happens/normal when using cm? The scent is Green Apple from WSP.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

That appears to be partial gel. I had a milk soap (goat milk, I think) that had a dark spot in the middle because I let it gel. I freeze my milk soaps now to try to avoid gel. Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but as long as you don't get zap you should be fine.

I just made coconut milk soap and mine looks just like yours. Its my first one and I was wondering if that was normal. I did freeze my milk, cover and placed it in the oven. Can someone explain the "ZAP" that is mentioned?

I make coconut milk soap quite regularly. I normally dont have any problem but about 6 weeks ago I made one and it turned out just like yours, with a circle of a greenish color in the middle. It took about a week, but the green color faded and the soap is now one solid color. It wasn't partial gel either, I don't know what caused it, but I was happy that it turned out fine. Im sure yours will too.

krissy, mine look like yours, lol. So weird...and my end pieces were fine too, it's when I cut the first slice and saw all that green inside. I didn't use all coconut milk either...did the 50/50 method...water/lye, then coconut milk right before trace. The last time I did the same technique and used Wild Mountian Honey fragrance. That too had the greenish squares inside, but the bars also discolored to medium tan and the squares went away. Glad to know others are experiencing the same thing. Well, not glad...you know what I mean. :wink: Hope the bars look more normal in a few days.

mmsigl: zap is checking to see if your batch is lye heavy. Just wet a finger and rub it on a bar...then touch your tongue to see if you get "zapped". I usually wait a few days after I cut my bars to check for zap...although I'm still not sure yet what I'm supposed to feel exactly! Was going to try something that was recommended by someone but I forgot to. :roll:

KnowWhat: I was hoping I didn't get partial gel. The bottom of the mold was hot and I could see it going through the gel stage. I figured it was doing what it was supposed to be doing and things should be fine! :)

I have that happen to me a lot as well. I use coconut milk and coconut cream. Haven't figured out why but the good thing is that it does fade away and the bars look normal.

SoapPoopette 8)

Ah, well it's good to know that the color fades out! I just did a coconut milk soap but I used individual round molds.

Mine turned out just like yours also

It looks exactly like yours, but as it cures every day the green is fading. I think it will be fine in a few weeks.

Back