Undissolved lye

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kimberly60

Reaction score
So this happened a little while ago. I made up my lye and stirred it well. Well I guess I really didn’t because when I made the soap batter it took forever to come to trace.

I have made a bunch of soap with a very light trace now and they came out good. I figured that maybe my oil was too warm or something which would have slowed the trace. So anyway when it barely came to a light trace after whipping it until my arms were going to fall off I poured it into the mold.

It wasn’t until I was washing the dishes that I noticed the towel had what I initially thought was plastic from the container that I mix the lye in. When I picked it up I saw that the towel was all brown and then looked inside the container and see that there is a bunch of lye that did not dissolve.

So now I am wondering about this batch of soap. If it sets up overnight should I consider it good or should I toss it in the trash?

I just checked it 45 Minutes later and it is firming up and also getting hot. I have attached a photo of it at this time.

79D19962-1A84-426F-915E-D92F8E51C67E.jpg

B13F0279-62E5-4FA4-BA84-0141D0FAFA32.jpg

23FBEC7E-C315-41B5-8311-AB109C0BB17B.jpg

Last edited:
If it sets up I would cut it and let it cure like normal. If it sets up, it will just mean your superfat is higher than you originally thought it was going to be.
In that last pic it looks like it is going through gel, so that might not be a bad thing. :) *crossing my fingers for you*

Latest posts

Back