White spots

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi :)

I’ve made 3 batches of soap so far and each one has these white spots. I can feel the texture when I run my finger across the bar. My recipe is:

40% olive oil
25% coconut oil
25% Palm oil
5% castor oil
5% sweet almond oil

5% super fat
33% lye concentration

This was a 4 pound batch. One half was left natural and the other half I colored with 2tsp of purple Brazilian clay that was dispersed in water at 1tsp clay to 1tbsp distilled water.

Thank you for your help.

*Edited to add*

My lye and my oils were at 71 degrees F.

Attachments

• IMG_0803.jpeg
    IMG_0803.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_0801.jpeg
    IMG_0801.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 0
I was going to opine that those are mostly stearic spots, but the way they follow the swirls makes me wonder if they were the start of glycerin rivers... maybe little puddles that never connected into rivers? ;)

Oh, and definitely there are a few holes from the wire cutter chopping through little air bubbles, too.

I was going to opine that those are mostly stearic spots, but the way they follow the swirls makes me wonder if they were the start of glycerin rivers... maybe little puddles that never connected into rivers? ;)

Oh, and definitely there are a few holes from the wire cutter chopping through little air bubbles, too.
@AliOop - little glycerin puddles sounds like the cute cousin to @KiwiMoose lovely full sized rivers 😉🌸😉

Looks like stearic spots. Be sure to heat your palm so it is all melted (the melting point of palm oil is ~95 F and like KiwiMoose said soap in the 90s. I suspect there are more spots around the clay because your clay was cooler when you swirled it in.

Back