Types of cetearyl alcohol and preservatives in conditioner bar and their difference

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mauve

Reaction score
Hi! I'm planning to make my first conditioner bar with this recipe that i found here, and the ingredients im plan on using are:

30% btms 50
30% cetearyl alcohol
15% shea butter
15% castor oil
3,5% grapeseed/coconut/olive oil/shea butter (i'm not sure which one, it's for bleached hair)

1% fragrance
1% optiphen
4,5% distilled water

I am aware that the type of the cetearyl alcohol that i use matters, but i'm not sure what difference it would make if i use 30/70 or 50/50 or 70:30. Can someone please explain it to me? And what should i do differently for every types incase i could only get one of them?

It's also hard to get optiphen here, but i found a blog that uses phenoxyethanol instead of optiphen, can i use that instead as a substitute? If i could, should i change the percentage?
Sorry if my questions seem's weird, this is my first time working with anything related to this :)!

Hi there,

I have used varying types of cetearyl alcohol in my conditioner bars, and have not noticed any appreciable difference in the outcome. I've even made my own cetearyl blend (using cetyl alcohol and stearyl acohol) when I ran out out the premixed stuff.

Regarding the preservatives, rather than giving you an answer (sorry!), I'm going to recommend that you read this preservative page on Humblebee & Me. It's important to get to know each one, so you can understand why you might use one or the other, and what effects each one might have on your lotion. :)

Hi there,

I have used varying types of cetearyl alcohol in my conditioner bars, and have not noticed any appreciable difference in the outcome. I've even made my own cetearyl blend (using cetyl alcohol and stearyl acohol) when I ran out out the premixed stuff.

Regarding the preservatives, rather than giving you an answer (sorry!), I'm going to recommend that you read this preservative page on Humblebee & Me. It's important to get to know each one, so you can understand why you might use one or the other, and what effects each one might have on your lotion. :)
Woaa, that was very helpfull thank you! And i found out from the table that phenoxyethanol and optiphen are both weak from fungus (the tan out of optiphen plus here). So i decided to see what other preservatives that i can get and i found lexgard natural preservatives!
Though it says that it's stable and effective at pH 4,0 - 7,5 but i am not sure what pH my conditioner bar is

Attachments

• Screenshot_2023-10-08-14-13-15-66_743e33170befb8303cd6da83c10dfea8.jpg
    Screenshot_2023-10-08-14-13-15-66_743e33170befb8303cd6da83c10dfea8.jpg
    429.4 KB · Views: 0

Latest posts

Back