tooth soap

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

user 61086

Reaction score
Does anyone on here have a good tasting and fairly thick tooth soap recipe? Glycerine causes more cavities, so not glycerine soap. I tried one from a book and it just runs off the brush. I also tried just soap and it does taste like soap - yuck!
Thank you so much

Soap naturally has glycerin in it so if you don't want it at all, tooth soap isn't for you.

Not all soap tastes bad. Some soap does taste objectionable but some type of soap have very little flavor. The choice of fats (actually fatty acids) in the recipe is important if you want a soap with no objectionable flavor Also your choice of fragrance and other additives can affect the taste.

There have been a fair number of threads over the years discussing tooth soap. You might check them out: https://www.soapmakingforum.com/search/2057902/?q="tooth+soap"&o=relevance

Thank you so much. I guess I'll have to try another formula without saponification.
Just to be clear, you cannot make soap without saponification. So I'm now as confused as Artemis is -- are you really talking about actual soap or do you mean another type of cleanser that is not soap based?

I don't still have the book, so I'm afraid I can't tell you the recipe. I've also made actual soap and brushed my teeth with it. And I didn't make up the notion about glycerine causing cavities, but read some research that showed evidence of this. Again, I don't still have that research on tap, but I'll check into it again. However, if glycerine is related to alcohol, it seems logical to e that this may be a problem. Anyway, I'm done with this discussion. I have no need to prove anything or argue.

I don't still have the book, so I'm afraid I can't tell you the recipe. I've also made actual soap and brushed my teeth with it. And I didn't make up the notion about glycerine causing cavities, but read some research that showed evidence of this. Again, I don't still have that research on tap, but I'll check into it again. However, if glycerine is related to alcohol, it seems logical to e that this may be a problem. Anyway, I'm done with this discussion. I have no need to prove anything or argue.

We're not trying to make you prove anything. We are genuinely confused by what you are saying and trying to figure out how to help you.

It sounded to me like you might be using one of those recipes that involves a liquid Castile soap. It also sounded like maybe you didn't understand the process of soap making. None of us knows your level of expertise. But, seeming to not understand saponification or glycerine hinted at that conclusion.

Anyway, I'm done with this discussion.
You were the one who asked for help re - tooth soap recipes, you can take the knowledge that is given to you or not, your choice. Remember members with some experience are trying to help, not argue with you.

Does anyone on here have a good tasting and fairly thick tooth soap recipe? Glycerine causes more cavities, so not glycerine soap. I tried one from a book and it just runs off the brush. I also tried just soap and it does taste like soap - yuck!
Thank you so much
I use baking soda to brush - very successfully. Haven’t had a cavity or gum disease in ages - my teeth are nice and white as well. My dentist approves. Just wet the toothbrush, dip in soda and brush. Works great! I follow up with Colgate rinse.

My teeth and gums are in much better shape after quitting regular toothpaste and making tooth powder instead. Whenever I decide it’s too messy or too much trouble, I switch back to my homemade stuff within a few months bc of the plaque buildup and bleeding gums I get with OTC products.

My teeth and gums are in much better shape after quitting regular toothpaste and making tooth powder instead. Whenever I decide it’s too messy or too much trouble, I switch back to my homemade stuff within a few months bc of the plaque buildup and bleeding gums I get with OTC products.
what is tooth powder? Some areas of the US have better water than others also. However, I was specifically referring to tooth soap.

what is tooth powder? Some areas of the US have better water than others also. However, I was specifically referring to tooth soap.
Tooth powder is basically a dry version of toothpaste. There are many different variations on this theme -- a quick google search brings up oodles of examples. Some tooth powders do contain soap, some do not. Some are commercial, many are homemade.

I genuinely would like to know more about what OP is searching for, because I think the "hive mind" here might have given them some good ideas if we understood the situation better. But it looks like we won't get that opportunity.

I did a brief search to see if I could find a connection between glycerin and dental caries (cavities) or any other dental health issues. I didn't find any research that even hinted that people think glycerin might be bad for dental health, but I was trying to stay with reputable sources of info.

I did find some discussion about a paper published some decades ago that suggested glycerin supposedly covers the teeth with a durable coating that can lead to oral health problems. That hypothesis has been roundly disproved and debunked in the years since, but I suppose that idea might still have traction in some circles.

Glycerin can be helpful in treatments for dry mouth because it's a humectant. I also learned its sweet flavor can reduce the need for other sweeteners that definitely are linked to caries and other dental health problems.

I think I'd be more likely to think OP has a valid concern if the concern was more about surfactants like SLS (sodium lauryl sulfate) in dental care products. SLS is a trigger for some oral health problems -- irritation of the mouth tissue and sometimes mouth ulcers.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC5969777/
https://askthedentist.com/should-i-avoid-glycerin-in-toothpaste/
https://ajcn.nutrition.org/article/S0002-9165(22)03408-6/fulltext
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC7245492/

Last edited:
I use baking soda to brush - very successfully. Haven’t had a cavity or gum disease in ages - my teeth are nice and white as well. My dentist approves. Just wet the toothbrush, dip in soda and brush. Works great! I follow up with Colgate rinse.
My BIL used baking soda, he ended up with a lovely set of false teeth.

I also googled tooth powder and will buy some to try. However, I won't stop using my fluoride paste as I have become cavity prone due to some medications that I have to take. Perhaps both together may help more.

Latest posts

Back