Too Much Cinnamon?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ariella42

Reaction score
I made a CP soap about a month ago and decided to try a natural colorant. I went with cinnamon since I had it on hand. Unfortunately, tsp and tbsp are very close in spelling, but not in measurements. So I used far too much cinnamon in half of my bar. I just used one and I actually love the exfoliation, though I can certainly see how many might just find it scratchy and irritating. Other than the scratchiness, could there be an issue with using too much cinnamon? I know cinnamon EO can cause issues, but I feel like dry cinnamon wouldn't be a problem after it reacts with the lye. However, I haven't used it on any sensitive areas yet, and I'd like to know if I'm way off base before I do and especially before I give any to the family members I have testing my soaps.

Even dry cinnamon can be very irritating. I do not think I would give it away. If you like save it for yourself and make a new batch for giveaway. I find paprika much better for coloring than cinnamon since it is not irritating. It will give a very pretty peachy color to soap

That was somewhat my feeling about giving it away since I certainly don't want anyone to have a bad reaction to my soap. I might experiment more with it myself, but I'll likely just use it as a winter body soap. That's good to know about paprika. I'll have to try that next time.

Latest posts

Back