To lame to figure out

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JamieH

Reaction score
First of all, what a great resource for some one just starting out. I love tapping into the resources of so many.

Problem is, I made my first batch of Castile Soap. After 2 days it's the consistency of pudding. Followed Kathy Millers Castile with no palm recipe. I think the problem is I didn't stir to full trace (45 min. hand stirred). Should I heat and stir or just let it continue to sit?

What consistency did you trace to? Can you post your recipe so we can see if it's an issue there?

You might consider buying a stick blender. That cuts trace time down. Run any recipe you try through a lye calculator first. You can rebatch this soap by putting in an old crockpot and cooking to the vaseline stage.

72 oz Olive oil
14 oz coconut
12 oz lye
24 oz water

Again, my first batch ever. I think after 40 minutes with a whisk and spoon, I was optimistic that the light trace was actually the full trace. The consistency was similar to condensed milk. Think I'll run to Walmart for a stick blender.

Heat it back up to 110-115 and stir some more. I've made that recipe before (quartered) in my blender and my notes say it took about 10 minutes at medium speed to reach a light trace. It's a good recipe, it just takes a really long time to trace, way WAY longer if you hand stir.

Thanks for the replies. Yes, I did weigh every ingredient, and double checked! I think trace was my issue. I am still letting it set up. I've resisted every temptation to remelt since it seems to firm up every day and the oil resting on top has reabsorbed. I am going out of town, so we will see what it has done by the time I get back. Thanks again.

Update...I ended up just leaving it alone and yay! It worked out, almost, beautifully. The only issue is a thin chalk layer on top, which I've read about. So what did I learn? Had a light trace should have gone longer, but it worked'ish, and the olive oil needs to set longer then most soaps, patience is the name of the game. I'll be making dish soap with my castile soap next : )

Latest posts

Back