To Gel or Not to Gel?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
In the video I saw their use in, they weren't lined. According to the website they don't need lining. This concerns me because lining is not something I want to do :-( I don't HP either. Do you need a rubber mallet as shown in soaphutch video to put together? At any rate, hopefully someone else will add to the gelling thing, as well as the lining of these molds. Thanks for replying!
Cactuslily,
I have those HDPE soap molds, the maker told me that they need a slip or sleeve, a parchment covering the long sides and bottom. It has been my experience that i absolutely need that. It's easier if I moisten the mold before putting the parchment in, again a tip from the maker.
They are easy to work with, but I do almost always see a thin layer of soda ash even after complete gel. One swipe with my finger under running water gets it off so not a big issue for me, it might be for those who sell their soaps. My molds certainly won't fit in the freezer, so right now bracing for a partial gel on my super lye Castile, which apparently doesn't do well with heat.

Mineral Oil works great most times. I have an HDPE mold and have no trouble with gelling in it. I've used it for soap and salt bars. Now I only make salt bars in it and it's great for that. I do line the very bottom.

If I use mineral oil or such, is that in lieu of, or to aid adhesion of paper. My dexterity it quite compromised, so the easiest way, the best for me. As for needing a rubber mallet. Do you find it necessary? Does it "break in" so to speak after a few uses? Thanks for the heads up and tips! Always so appreciated!

Cactuslily, my mold is not from soap hutch, it's a simple log mold that is held together by three screws. But I went and watched the soap hutch video for the multi log/ slab mold where there are no screws to hold everything together. In that setup I would think the rubber mallet is needed to make sure the whole setup is secure. In case you were wondering where to buy the mallet, my husband uses them in his cricket sport to secure the bails over the stumps. He buys them at Walmart for about 3$ A piece.
The mineral oil would be in place of the parchment I believe as I never used it along with the parchment, there is just no need for both.

I have a kelsei mold and I have to use a rubber mallet to get it to lock in right. Otherwise it leaks. I line the bottom and use mineral oil on the sides and the dividers (it's a slab mold).

In the video I saw their use in, they weren't lined. According to the website they don't need lining. This concerns me because lining is not something I want to do :-( I don't HP either. Do you need a rubber mallet as shown in soaphutch video to put together? At any rate, hopefully someone else will add to the gelling thing, as well as the lining of these molds. Thanks for replying!

no...I don't need a rubber mallet. Mine just slip together, the bottom slides into grooves on the sides and ends and then screws are put on the ends to hold them in place. I've never had them leak with melt & pour or fluid cold process. I line them with freezer paper for cold process and just use them as is for hot process. The sides pop right off....they clean up with a quick swipe under water and they cut to make a size that I love. I just bought these at Michaels with a coupon...their shelf price is a silly price, but with a 50% off coupon it is more reasonable.

http://www.soapmakingforum.com//www.pinterest.com/pin/create/extension/

IMG_20140729_185336851.jpg

Thank you all for your info! Will let you know how my soaphutch mold goes...when I get it. Ordered February 5th. Hoping it gives me multiple options, decreasing need for lots of other molds. I do love my silicone though. No muss no fuss. Anybody have downsides to silicone or HDPE. For that matter?

Latest posts

Back