Thinnest Trace Oils

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
No, that is a really good question.

ok this is just from experience - and everyone's is different. In my opinion, the two deciding factors have been temperature (lower = thinner) and method used. I get the thinnest traces using room temperature method. I also found fragrance differs a lot. I use the same recipe with two different FO's, and one of them is virtually soap in a pot, while the other is thin and handleable at my leisure.

that recipe is 50% olive oil, about 19% PKO and coconut, some sunflower, canola and caster.

Do you mean slow trace?
Recipes high in olive oil (not pomace), or lard are generally slow to trace, as opposed to recipes high in palm, pko, coconut, they will trace a lot faster.
If i am testing out a new fo or I want to swirl, or I've got one I know moves fast, I up the olive oil in my recipe and that usually gives me more time. Lower temps help too. And don't discount the water, use a weaker lye solution.

Ollieblue said:
thank you Deb :) I'll try the lower temperature method.
Do you let both your oils and lye cool down before combining? or do you melt your hard oils with the hot lye and then mix in your liquid oils?

I personally heat up my oils to mix in the brittles, then let them cool as a mix - to room temperature or thereabouts. Nothing warmer than i'd use as a baby's bottle type temperature. (no feeding babies oils and lye. BAD! )

I make my lye with about half my water and cool it down with the other half, which keeps them cool as well. Room temperature ish.

Has anyone noticed that the deeper the container, the faster the trace? It's just something I've become aware of over time. If I use a tapered and deep jug, I get a faster trace than if I make the same quantity in a wider bucket.

i was mixing my oils/lye water til i could see trails from spoon, then i found out from a utube that is not necessary, just a few blasts to make sure they are mixed is all you need to do! it is still very thin. so, i dont think it matters too much what oils you use? hope that helps, can anyone post that utube for her?

i always discount my water, bars get hard faster, like if lye was 4.6, i do water 4.6 x 2.

honor435 said:
i was mixing my oils/lye water til i could see trails from spoon, then i found out from a utube that is not necessary, just a few blasts to make sure they are mixed is all you need to do! it is still very thin. so, i dont think it matters too much what oils you use? hope that helps, can anyone post that utube for her?

I have tried this, too Honor. I read everywhere that you just had to combine
the oils & lye well, then you can have lots of time to play with swirls. But
I end up with lye-heavy soap. I've had to throw away a few batches lately.
I have a tough time with this. If I SB the swirl soap, I get pudding. If I stir to
just blended, it is too thin to swirl. Getting it just the right consistency is difficult.

Latest posts

Back