Melting spices into the oil-thoughts?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

crazycatlady

Reaction score
I'm referring to ground turmeric/paprika/Cinnamon. Wouldn't these better incorporate in Warm oils rather than at trace?

Hi there! Spices don't actually melt into oils - they remain as separate particles that will be quite visible in the soap if you leave them in.

If you will be using the spices as colorants, the best way to do that is to infuse them into your oil, and then strain them out of the oil before using it to make soap. Some spice particles can be a bit scratchy, and cinnamon is a known skin irritant. Also, the smell of the spices doesn't really come through the saponification process.

Okay, thanks for clarifying that for next! It would be just for natural color, so it's good that there wouldn't be any smell.

Okay, thanks for clarifying that for next! It would be just for natural color, so it's good that there wouldn't be any smell.
*for me.

Turmeric and paprika will tint oil. Annatto also works to make a golden yellow to orange oil infusion for coloring soap.

I'm not so sure about cinnamon as an infusion, however. It can also be a skin irritant, so I personally would avoid it in soap.

I've gotten a nice chocolate brown in soap with cocoa powder, but I don't make an infusion -- I just mix the powder directly into my oils when making the soap.

Latest posts

Back