the truth is revealed

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Dove broadcasts TV ads like that, too. I always laugh when I see them because they are not exactly telling the whole story. Although their product technically is not what the FDA defines as 'soap' here in the US (their product is actually a combination of soap, detergent, fatty acids, metal chelators, salt, colorants and scent), there is soap in it (sodium tallowate, sodium palmitate, sodium stearate, sodium cocoate, and sodium palm kernelate), but since it also has detergents in it, they don't have to call it 'soap' as per FDA requirements.

I'd like to know where they got such an ugly, cracking soap for their ad. My handmade soap has never looked like that, ever.

IrishLass :)

carebear said:
I don't see the irony.

When I first started soaping I read that most of the stuff on the shelves isn't considered real soap, which is the reason why they're called beauty bars or moisturizing bars or cleansing bars.

Hence, the ad saying "Dove isn't soap" is ironical in the sense that they just blatantly admitted their product is not real even though they're trying to promote their product.

Although I guess it wouldn't be ironic if what I read wasn't true; that it's all a lie and just propaganda spread by soap makers worldwide to promote their product.

"not soap" was the communication of zest when it was launched. it was a big hit. zestfully clean - leaves no soap scum. it's not new, and it's not a lie.

The only time i've seen a soap that looks like that is a commercial one I left outside. The thought of going back to commercial "soap" makes me cringe. :?

Pretty n Plain said:
The only time i've seen a soap that looks like that is a commercial one I left outside. The thought of going back to commercial "soap" makes me cringe. :?

I wish somebody told me about handmade soaps when I was young. Dove + Oxiclean... may as well have bobbed for fries. The only good commercial soap is probably Ivory. Neutrogena makes an acceptable glycerin bar.

But yeah, going back to commercial made bars would be like going from home cooked food to McD.

edit: and by Oxiclean I mean OXY pads.

IrishLass said:
I'd like to know where they got such an ugly, cracking soap for their ad. My handmade soap has never looked like that, ever.

IrishLass :)

They might have got to it with a dremel and gouged out the cracks, you know nothing is as it seems.

:lol: Makes me laugh... stupid ad.
Their soap has never even seen water, brand new out of the packet, and the other has been used a hundred times in some dirty hand basin for 3years.
Hardly a fair comparision.
That said, I have seen soap look like that. :shock:

The ONLY soap I've ever seen dried up and wrinkled like that is an Olay bar (that was my preferred bar pre-homemade). None of my soap does that. The only thing "wrong" with a bar that does that, that I can think of, is that it'll easily break - the Olay bar I had it happen to just snapped in half.

When I was a kid the soaps in school would get a bit like that. However that looks more like some kind of cracker or biscuit to me hehe. I saw a documentary on commercials and they make huge fake versions of the products to take pictures of or film and then shrink them. So in that ad, it's probably a huge styrofoam block coloured brown and chiseled :p

Back