The quest for a hard bar

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
carebear said:
Pardon me if I missed it, but how much salt did you use?

1.5% of total weight of batch.

[/quote]Would you mind posting the exact recipe you used ? I might like to try that out Smile

bump?

ummmmm....? I could tell you but I think its easy enough to run some figures through soap calc youself. I've pretty much given away most of my ingredients in this thread anyway.

* sorry cant get the stupid quote button to work

Can we still add sugar to the lye water for bubbles??????? Maybe the salt will make it hard and the sugar lather.

Oh, I saw a recipe today that put the sea salt in the water a let it set overnight. Then they soaped the recipe the next day. :?

busymakinsoap! said:
carebear said:
Pardon me if I missed it, but how much salt did you use?

1.5% of total weight of batch.

Would you mind posting the exact recipe you used ? I might like to try that out Smile

bump?

ummmmm....? I could tell you but I think its easy enough to run some figures through soap calc youself. I've pretty much given away most of my ingredients in this thread anyway.

* sorry cant get the stupid quote button to work

Yeah, of course, with this article I figured out 30% coconut oil, 25% rice bran and 5% castor. And I suppose that the rest was 40% olive...

I was more interested in the water amount, cause my 25% coconut and 75% soft oils is the mushiest mess I have ever seen and I know that the salt makes the difference, but I wanted to know what other differences their could be - like a big water discount in addition to the salt or a big/small superfat.

Also, the amount of salt, being based on the total batch, will vary if there was a water discount or not.=>nope, in fact, I just did the math and there is a 1g difference for a 500g oil batch, so... But I'd still like to know how much water you used.

I know, I'm annoying! I'm sorry for it. :oops:

I did a small water discount as it was a test, and I wasnt colouring or fragrancing. My batches are around 1kg give or take a few grams based on water % so I based my salt amount on that.

I based my % on what I had researched, with most doing between 1 and 2%.

today I made another batch with harder oils. I was colouring and fragrancing so I used full water and reduced the % of salt to 1%, because it can accellerate. Will see if it makes a difference tommorow.

I hope this answers your question, I'm still new to the salt thing, but I'm guessing its depends on what you want from your batch and what your original recipe is.

Intrigued by your post, I decided to try a batch with salt. It was about 68% soft oils, at 7% SF, with a 2:1 liquid ratio (this was a beer batch) and 130 deg. Salt was roughly 1.5%. It did gel and even after 3 hrs, felt as hard as some of my 2 wk old soaps! It will be interesting to see how the bars hold up when it is ready for use. Thanks so much for sharing your experience! :D

Does the salt go in the lye water or directly into the emulsion? Also does the salt ever break up the emulsion while it is gelling?

Mike

The recipe I have(haven't tried yet) said add 1tsp sea salt to the 10oz of water and let set overnight then soap it the next day.

turbo said:
Does the salt go in the lye water or directly into the emulsion? Also does the salt ever break up the emulsion while it is gelling?

Mike

You should make sure that the salt is dissolved in the water or you will see the salt crystals in the soap. It doesn't dissolve in the soap. (ask me how I know) :?

Jezzy said:
turbo said:

Mike

You should make sure that the salt is dissolved in the water or you will see the salt crystals in the soap. It doesn't dissolve in the soap. (ask me how I know) :?

Good to know! thanks for sharing!

Latest posts

Back