The most basic-est conditioner recipe possible?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi All, beginner question.... I want to make enough for 6 conditioner bars, should I just multiply the recipe by 6? I know it all sounds so simple, I just don’t want to wast expensive ingredients. thanks Therese

Yes, for conditioner bars that's probably ok to just multiply.

But to be more accurate and ensure there are no rounding issues, it would be better to have your recipe in percentages and calculate from the total amount you want to make. If you have excel or another spreadsheet type calc it will do it for you fairly simply.

ETA: In case you're math challenged like I was when I first started making my own personal care items, this article is most helpful How do percentages work? - Humblebee & Me
There is a link there as well for a video if you're more visual than reading inclined.

I will also add that unless you are absolutely certain you really like the conditioner bar recipe, don't make enough for six bars. Make a test batch -- maybe 50 to 100 gram (2 to 4 ounces by weight), even less if you can weigh precisely. Try it first and see if it works well for you -- then scale up to a batch size that will last awhile. I also have found a conditioner bar lasts longer than I thought it would -- a lot longer than a liquid conditioner with the same amount of active ingredients.

Last edited:
I will also add that unless you are absolutely certain you really like the conditioner bar recipe, don't make enough for six bars. Make a test batch -- maybe 50 to 100 gram (2 to 4 ounces by weight), even less if you can weigh precisely. Try it first and see if it works well for you -- then scale up to a batch size that will last awhile. I also have found a conditioner bar lasts longer than I thought it would -- a lot longer than a liquid conditioner with the same amount of active ingredients.
Ditto every word of this post.

I use a scale that can measure down to 0.01g for all test batches and single bars. I have found that 50g is just about the perfect size for a test bar of shampoo or conditioner.

@tnana1 I have a spreadsheet that I use for scaling batches and tracking changes between test batches. I posted a link to it in this thread:
https://www.soapmakingforum.com/threads/my-spreadsheets-for-formulating-cost-testing.83570/

I guess I'm the weirdo because coconut oil is awful on my hair (and my skin, for that matter). It just sits on top and never absorbs, leaving me feeling greasy and yet dry at the same time. Like, it's a layer of grease on top, with dry flaky skin (or dry hair) underneath.

I've been loving meadowfoam seed oil in my most recent conditioner bar. Argan, jojoba, and broccoli seed are other good ones. Oh, and shea - my hair and skin LOVE shea!

You might have to experiment to find what works for you.
I’m with you on coconut oil! I thought it was just me. I’m still searching for recipes for both a shampoo bar and a conditioner bar for long curly dry hair. Can’t use SLS.

I’m with you on coconut oil! I thought it was just me. I’m still searching for recipes for both a shampoo bar and a conditioner bar for long curly dry hair. Can’t use SLS.
I use the shampoo and conditioner bar recipes from DIY Bath & Body that are on Etsy. They don’t use SLS, and I sub in other oils for coconut. Those recipes work well for my very dry curly hair.

So this is off topic, newbie question... what does the reaction score mean on the left side.

@violets2217 Thanks, great info about the kokum since I have thick curly hair as well (not nearly as thick as it used to be, but that's another story).

@Janewoc17 I sub in shea instead of coconut oil and it works for me, although now I want to try kokum. The syndet bars themselves are actually simpler to make than CP soap, IMO. It's the gathering of ingredients, and buying the jeweler's scale, that really slowed me down.

I would encourage you at some point to jump in with the simplest recipe you can find, or one with the most amount of ingredients you have on hand, if you have any of them. I didn't have any syndet ingredients when I started, which caused analysis paralysis for so long because I didn't want to buy a bunch of ingredients that weren't right for me. In the end, I did buy one ingredient that I ended up passing along to another forum member. But all the rest I use regularly, and they work well for me. Good luck, and have fun with it!

I use the same recipes as @AliOop and I sub cocoa butter, Shea butter and sometimes kokum butter for the coconut oil. The kokum butter is my favorite and my daughter’s massive amount of thick curly hair loves it too!
Hi Violets, Kokum butter sounds excellent. My youngest daughter has hair similar to your daughter‘s (based on a photo you posted) but probably most like yours. I‘m hoping to come up with some recipes to replace store bought in an attempt to reduce packaging and overwhelming fragrances. Thank you!

@violets2217 Thanks, great info about the kokum since I have thick curly hair as well (not nearly as thick as it used to be, but that's another story).

@Janewoc17 I sub in shea instead of coconut oil and it works for me, although now I want to try kokum. The syndet bars themselves are actually simpler to make than CP soap, IMO. It's the gathering of ingredients, and buying the jeweler's scale, that really slowed me down.

I would encourage you at some point to jump in with the simplest recipe you can find, or one with the most amount of ingredients you have on hand, if you have any of them. I didn't have any syndet ingredients when I started, which caused analysis paralysis for so long because I didn't want to buy a bunch of ingredients that weren't right for me. In the end, I did buy one ingredient that I ended up passing along to another forum member. But all the rest I use regularly, and they work well for me. Good luck, and have fun with it!
Thank you for the encouragement AliOop. I’m off to shop for ingredients and the recipes from DIY Bath…

Thanks, great info about the kokum since I have thick curly hair as well (not nearly as thick as it used to be, but that's another story).
I bought it to make a hair paste for my son when he had a haircut he actually styled. Lol he used it twice I think! But I love it for our hair. I started using it after I read this article:

https://www.bustle.com/articles/923...-have-you-reconsidering-your-beloved-shea-for
“Kokum butter is ideal for scalp treatments to promote strong roots and a nourishing atmosphere for all that new hair growth. The thing that makes this butter stand out is the fact that it isn't as greasy as cocoa butter and the light fragrance isn't as noticeable as shea butter. Kokum butter does not like to be heated, so liquefying works best in a blender. I like to blend my kokum butter with equal parts of camellia and coconut oil, then massage onto my scalp as a nightly treatment. This treatment is amazing for those suffering from hair loss due to chemical treatments because it's restorative in nature and will jumpstart those hair follicles.”

I try not to fall for every article I read on the internet but I figured it couldn’t hurt! Lol!

Latest posts

Back