Test Batch that I CPOP

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SoapSap

Reaction score
Yesterday I tested a small batch of soap I made to experiment with CPOP.
It is has Clove EO with dried citrus peel and poppy seed.

I used a lined cardboard box for the mold. Immediately after pouring I put it in a 150 degree oven for 3 hours then I turned the oven off and left it in the oven overnight.

It is difficult to see in the photo, but the very top layer of the soap has a rough texture and is lighter color. My thoughts were while watching it in the oven was it was not gelling. Everything underneath this thin layer gelled nicely.

My thoughts are, should I have covered the top with something? Could it be that the top got too dried out?

In the photo I placed the loaf on its side so the visual of the top compared to the sides can hopefully be seen better. ImageUploadedBySoap Making1416250267.972705.jpg

You can see I have some air bubbles too. I don't know why that happened either.

Probably because you left it with the oven on for too long. Most folks that CPOP will just warm up the oven to 170 and as soon as they put the soap in the oven they turn it off and let it sit overnight. I've only done CPOP a couple times and didn't like it though. So not a pro by any means.

Probably because you left it with the oven on for too long. Most folks that CPOP will just warm up the oven to 170 and as soon as they put the soap in the oven they turn it off and let it sit overnight. I've only done CPOP a couple times and didn't like it though. So not a pro by any means.

Great tip. Is CPOP technically HPOP?

L....that I'm not sure of. I would think so but............ Hopefully someone else can answer that one. The only HP I do is my shaving soap and liquid soap.

I've never done OP but done lots of HP. CPOP seems like HP (HPCP) because it is using a heat source to sub-complete saponifiaction, same as a crockpot. I always wondered... hmmmm :lol:

when I get brave enough to do voen process, I'll try your method out. :wave:

Looks like the top dried out from too much heat. I don't think CPOP is at all like HP. With CPOP, you aren't cooking the soap, just insulating it in a big metal box so it will fully gel.
I suppose you could say the OP did HPOP since they did cook the soap for three hours. Really lucky it didn't over heat into a mess, especially using clove EO.

I just cut the soap a few minutes ago. I think it will be okay after it cures and I do some plaining

I just cut the soap a few minutes ago. I think it will be okay after it cures and I do some plaining

Here is a picture of the cut soap. I will not leave it in the oven so long next time. The top definitely dried up and that it was gelling on the inside. ImageUploadedBySoap Making1416264029.419118.jpg

CPOP(when done the turn the oven off way) is not HPOP. It is really CP, but instead of towels or blankets to insulate, you use the oven.

The way SoapSap did it is OPHP as it was in the oven to hot process.

If you used a silicone mold to OP, bubbles are a common occurrence.

That's some gorgeous soap, though!

Yeah what Susie said. I CPOP almost all of my soaps, with the exception of salt soaps. You're not cooking the soap for saponification. You're just using it to insure a full gel.

I do mine a little different than what I read others doing. I preheat the oven to 170, while I'm mixing. Then I pour the soap, and cover it with saran wrap. I put it in the oven for 1 hour, checking every 15 mins. My base recipe almost always goes to complete gel in the last 15 mins. I then take it out of the oven, uncover it and let it cool on a shelf.

Latest posts

Back