Tearless Soap

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I make a soap that is quite mild but was asked a question by someone that wanted to use it on their baby and were wondering if it was tearless. Here is my ingredients and if someone would know that would be great,

Goat's Milk
Olive Oil
Coconut Oil
Shea Butter
Palm Oil
Castor Oil
Sweet Almond Oil

I would(and did) use soap on my babies. But whether you do or not is between the parent and the pediatrician. But handmade soap is not going to be tearless, no matter what you do.

tearless shampoos, etc are designed with a pH close to that of the eye, which isn't compatible with the pH required for soap, so you won't be able to make a soap that could be called "tearless", and I don't suggest putting it in your eye to test it because it WILL sting like mad.

Keeping the soap away from the babies eyes I understand, but why would soap be bad for a baby for the rest? I don't have kids yet, but I can't imagine that commercial washing gels are better except for stinging the eyes perhaps.

My 2 year old daughter got some of my 'gentle' soap in her eye and judging by the screams that followed it was painful. The same would apply to any soap I guess, if its true soap that is.

I too agree that handmade soap is not tearless. A lot of doctors do not recommend using soap on babies sensitive skin until they are at least 6 months old. My grandchildren did not get washed with my soaps even though I consider them gentle. Would hate to have it in their eyes. Of course I'm sure there are some that do and that is totally their decision.

Most ¨tearless¨ shampoos actually have a numbing agent in them so when it gets in the eyes, it doesn't hurt...

Source? I've never heard of that!

ETA: googling got me this "
Question "I received an email that said the reason why JOHNSON'S® Baby Shampoo was gentle to the eyes was because it contains numbing agents that numbs the eyes if contact occurs." Answer "The assertion that chemicals are added that numb the baby's eyes is totally false. The reason JOHNSON'S® shampoo formulas do not irritate the eyes is the mildness of the formulation, which has undergone extensive clinical testing and has proven to be as gentle to the eyes as pure water." (Source: Johnson & Johnson FAQs [ http://www.johnsonsbaby.com/faq#23 ], Johnson & Johnson Consumer Companies Inc., Copyright 1998-2004.)"

"In particularly, the identity and concentration of detergents with anionic or "charged" portion are controlled to minimise both eye and skin irritation." (Source: What makes a no-tears shampoo? - http://www.ccchwc.edu.hk/webpage/chemistry/AL_project/note/no%20tear%20shampoo.htm, C.C.C. Heep Woh College Chemistry Department, Copyright 2003)

http://www.snopes.com/business/secret/babyshampoo.asp

Last edited:
My thoughts on soap and babies: Soap is for removing excess oil and dirt from the skin, and babies in arms just don't produce that much oil and don't do things to get dirty (yes, they poop and spit up, but even then, mostly, babies can be cleaned very adequately with warm water and a soft washcloth.) I agree that the commercial washes aren't any better, and I would/did avoid them too, for my own children. Obviously the decision is up to the parent (because, all else aside, how the heck would anyone prevent it?? lol)

From another angle, their skin is learning how to be "outside" in the very early days, and the pH and microfauna should be nutured, imo.

Last edited:
I rarely washed my babies with soap when they were little. It's just not necessary. Once they were mobile though hand made soap has served us well but we do avoid the eyes cause that stuff burns like the dickens.

Yeah... most babies never really get dirty enough to break out the soap. I think a warm bath at night is a wonderful, calming ritual (and who doesn't love a baby in a bathtub), but I used a muslin bag with ground-up oatmeal as a cleanser until my son was sitting in the big people tub.

And for the record - handmade soap DOES sting more than detergent soap. Oh my eye! I've done it a couple of times :)

Back