tart melts

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

babygirl

Reaction score
I am wanting to make tart melts. I dont want to do other types of candles right now just tarts. Can someone help me with the best wax to use and the best fo's to use? I want a good lasting scent.

What kind of wax are you looking for? (Soy, Paraffin, Palm, etc)

I personally use Ecosoya Wax Pillar Blend from Wholesale Supplies Plus.
I've tested many other waxes, but in the end this one is the one I've personally liked the most for soy.

I do also get most of my fragrance oils from WSP, too. But there are a few other ones that I try once in a while, like Creative Illuminations, Brambleberry & Bitter Creek.

But not all fo's burn the same, so each one has to be tested.

Not sure what kind I want to use. I have never made any kind of candle before. I want something easy to use and easy to clean up. One that has good throw on scents.

Pure soy can be tricky with scents. Some fragrances do better with scent throw than others. The only way to know for sure is to test. :)

soapbuddy said:
Pure soy can be tricky with scents. Some fragrances do better with scent throw than others. The only way to know for sure is to test. :)
I have experienced this with candles, but is it also true for melts?

carebear said:
soapbuddy said:
I have experienced this with candles, but is it also true for melts?
For me, it's also true for melts.

babygirl said:
I am wanting to make tart melts. I dont want to do other types of candles right now just tarts. Can someone help me with the best wax to use and the best fo's to use? I want a good lasting scent.

I didn't see a wax that I'd use from WSP. Have you been to the CandleScience website? They have quality FO and excellent customer service. If you want to keep things simple, try the IGI 4794 votive wax. You may have small dips in your tarts as this wax will shrink a bit. I personally use this wax with GB415 soy for clamshell tarts to minimize the shrinkage.

If you're in the western US try Peak Candle. They are also great!

I have been reading a lot of good things about KY para/soy wax. What is everyone's opinion of it? I also have heard good things about 4794. Who carries 4794 so I can look into pricing on that?

babygirl said:
I have been reading a lot of good things about KY para/soy wax. What is everyone's opinion of it? I also have heard good things about 4794. Who carries 4794 so I can look into pricing on that?

If your eastern US I would use Candle Science, if your mid-west or western, I use Peak. They both have very good oils and great customer service and both carry the 4794 plus a nice selection of other waxes also.

I have not tried the para-soy from KY but have heard people recently are having trouble with it. There are a number of candle suppliers in the US, here is a link to some http://www.suppliersbystate.com/state-listings.php

Back