Stupid Question regarding soapcal calculator...

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lioness

Reaction score
Hi everyone I have never used soapcal as I have always used a recipe from a book....(just learning) so I was trying to figure it out this morning but I don't understand if you put the weight of the oils is that the size of the finished batch at the end? Like if I make a simple recipe with 2 pounds of oils does that mean it will fit into my 2 lb. loaf mold when I pour it in? Its probably common sense but I can be pretty dense sometimes...lol Thanks

lioness said:
Hi everyone I have never used soapcal as I have always used a recipe from a book....(just learning) so I was trying to figure it out this morning but I don't understand if you put the weight of the oils is that the size of the finished batch at the end? Like if I make a simple recipe with 2 pounds of oils does that mean it will fit into my 2 lb. loaf mold when I pour it in? Its probably common sense but I can be pretty dense sometimes...lol Thanks
some where on here i read length x width x height x .40 should give you the amount oil that will fill your mold ... always have a small mold for what ever dont fit :D

Take a look at the sticky at the top of this forum about figuring how much oil to use for your mold.

I recently learned that 11 oz of oil makes one pound of soap, 22 oz makes two pounds, 33 oz makes 3 pounds, etc. The extra weight is from the liquid needed to mix the lye. So, for a 2 lb mold, you would need 22 oz of oil plus 10 oz of liquid to equal 32 oz.

I've also used that formula: length x width x height (of mold) x .4. The .4 would be the liquid. In any case, it's always a good idea to keep a small mold handy for any overflow.

I think you'll love this solution--
Use soapcalc.net to make a formula that gives you all the numbers you're after... Then, plug the % of each oil into http://summerbeemeadow.com/content/lye- ... pe-resizer. Click the "click here when done" button, and the next screen will allow you to enter the dimensions of your mold, and click "resize." PRESTO CHANGE-O!!! You have an exact formula for your mold.

Latest posts

Back