Strange ingredients

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BlueSky

Reaction score
I have a recipe that calls for Annatto Extract and Safflower Threads. I cannot find Annatto Extract anywhere--I have found seeds and powders. I was also able to locate Safflower Threads, but at a different website. Is anyone familiar with these items and can they be purchased from one place so I don't have to pay shipping twice?

I have used annato seeds....you just infuse the oil with them, then strain them out....they make an orange color.

I never heard of safflower threads....did you maybe mean saffron?

Annatto can be found in mexican or hispanic sections of grocery stores.

When you put it into oil it is called Achiote. Not only is it that beautiful color, but it imparts an awesome flavor into food...really it does!

Maybe you could call around locally where you are and ask if your grocer would be willing to order it if they don't already have it. Most places are willing to order things for their customers if they don't carry it.

As for the other thing that you are wanting, it might be a matter of asking the same question to your grocer.

Good luck with your quest!

I don't know about safflower threads. I think I have read of them in a thread somewhere but I can't remember where. They are from the flower of the plant, I believe. But, here is an easy peasy way to get the annanotto seeds infused. Put the olive oil in a jar (the amount you need in your recipe or a lesser amount). Dump in some annanotto and let sit for a few days. The oil will turn orange and it is simple to just pull out the "seeds". I buy mine in an Hispanic market. Very cheap. Do a search on the safflower..you might pick up that thread. I think they are used as a substitute for saffron which is very pricey.

Thanks for the info--I know what to do with the Annatto now. The amount that is used in the recipe gives the soap a yellow color. Then the Safflower Threads (which are red) are added as a contrasting color. It sounds interesting. If I can find the Annatto seeds locally, I'll order the Safflower Threads and give it a whirl!

Back