Stinky Soap, Not Deodorizing

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WhackySoaper

Reaction score
Hi all, Ok I'm the one who made the mistake of adding lye amount for water. I finally was able to fix that mistake and now trying to use the soap, but it is not a deodorizing bar. I stopped buying antiperspirant deodorants so without using store bought bar soap that contain detergents and chemicals and deodorizers how can I make my soap more germ killing and deodorizing on the body? Please I really need help my husband is complaining.

Last edited:
Are you saying it's maybe too mild and not cleaning him well enough?
I know some store bought deodorants are super sticky and have a hard time coming off.. part of why I make my own. But husband always has to use a wash cloth and scrub pretty well to feel clean in that area.
Is that maybe the problem you are having? He's not coming out smelling clean and still is a bit stinky in the armpit after showering?

It will not work like store bought but if you are looking for something to help try adding tea tree oil. I find it does help a bit. I mix mine with a bit of clove to tone down the medicinal smell of the tea tree but be aware that even small amounts of clove oil can seize a batch of soap depending on the rest of the recipe. If you do decide to try clove oil with it be ready and move quickly.

I am simply not understanding why you would use soap for a antiperspirant or deodorant. Soap when mixed with water carries off the bacteria, dirt and crud stinkies from our skin, but it is not a deodorant and not meant to be. If you are still determined to make a bar with such properties, some essential oils such as tea tree have antibacterial properties. You could try making a neem oil soap with lemongrass and tea tree but I doubt even that is going to do much. I use a natural deodorant (not antiperspirant) and it works well but has to be applied more than once a day in humid hot weather.

Hi all, yes I think the soap is too mild and not fragrant enough. You know when using store bought soap it doesn't leave your arm pits or wash cloth with musky smell? But my soap does.

Can you post your recipe? That can help us figure whats going on with it. I know its a rebatch, so include everything you added to it.

There are times my soap doesn't work so good in the pit area. Using a body brush really helps, so does a salt bar or coffee bar.

Hi all, yes I think the soap is too mild and not fragrant enough. You know when using store bought soap it doesn't leave your arm pits or wash cloth with musky smell? But my soap does.

Are you using coconut oil in your soap? If you are not I would add coconut oil to your recipe at about 10 percent to start.

You'd need to post your recipe and so we can suggest changes to make and maybe see what's making it too mild if that really is the issue.
Possibly you just used a scent that doesn't smell as nice in soap.. it does happen. ;/ I have some I love but smell off in my CP after washing. What EO or fragrance did you use? Post that also.

this might interest you: [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pORGvVIdwwc"]alum and lanolin soap[/ame]

you can ditch the lanolin and just use the alum

Couple of thoughts: going back to your other posts, you had lye heavy soap that you were recommended to throw out, since you weren't sure of your error, and then you wanted to rebatch with vanilla extract, and it was advised that you not expect great things from that.

So. Where do you stand with the soap? Did you rebatch? Did you add oil? How did you decide how much to add? did you scent with vanilla extract despite the advice against it? how does the soap smell? Does it lather well?

Then, how is the soap being used? That seems like a weird question, but soap isn't like the far more "cleansing" SLS in bodywash and body detergent bars. You have to actually apply it where you want it to clean, it's not enough to just let it rinse down the skin. Your husband may have to wash his armpits more thoroughly with the soap. Is the odor body odor or unpleasant soap smell? Does he expect it to be highly fragranced?

I think it might be too much to ask of a soap to work as a deodorant. Expecting it to clean the skin is fair, and if it is not doing a good enough job, you have to consider if the rebatch worked as it should, or if something else has gone wrong.

Hi all, the recipe is 8 oz. Coconut oil, 8 oz. Castor oil and 16 oz. Soy bean oil. I used 2 Tbsp. cocoa powder for color and was hoping for chocolate scent and Japanese cherry fragrant oil about 20 drops

I did rebatch with 16 oz. more oil and followed the advise given to not use vanilla extract.

Was the extra 16 oz of oil soybean? I ran it through soapcalc and it only has a cleansing number of 11, thats kinda low. why don't you try this instead. 50% olive oil, 25% coconut oil, 25% palm or lard. Superfat at 8% so its not too drying.

If you are scenting it, you need to use 1/2oz of scent per pound of oil in your recipe. Natural ingrediant like coco powder and herbs won't add any scent, you need fragrance oils (specifically made for soap) or essential oils for that.

The soap lathers very well I think my hubby is just used to store bought soap and this is a big adjustment for him. I shower at night and can wash up several times a day because I'm a housewife so I'm not having any problems with body odor. But my hubby works outside of the house so he has to go on the shower he takes at night and his morning wash up for the duration he's at work which is sometimes 12 and 14 hours. I'm thinking I should add to my next batch or rebatch this one again and add more fragrance oils. I don't want to fail at this and have to revert to store bought soap.

Adding more fragrance won't help. The scent isn't meant to stay on your skin, its just to make the bar smell good.

I have to make different soap for my hubby, he works long days outside and the gentle soap I make for myself will not work for him. He needs his to be more cleansing, I would guess your hubby does too.

No, alum isn't what is in store bough deodorant. Here is some info on it http://www.thecrystal.com/crystal_insights.cfm
I use a alum crystal and it works pretty darn good. You can usually find a small sample sized crystal at walmart in the bins with all the travel sized products.

If he's been using deodorant/antiperspirant and a detergent bar (most store soaps aren't soap), and then you offer a low-cleansing bar of soap, and no deodorant, I don't expect he will be satisfied with the outcome.

Obsidian is offering good advice to try.

I'm curious still how you decided how much extra oil you needed, and what type of extra you added (as Obsidian asked).

Soap won't work as a deodorant all day, no way, no how. You'll have to consider what other options you're willing to have hubby use, I think.

Back