Starting to live on this forum

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

desert_gold_hound

Reaction score
Next week I will be placing an order for some of my supplies. Here is my first recipe I plan to try its keeping it simple. I ran it through SoapCalc and wont to know your thoughts.

Lard 40% 19.2oz
Coconut 76 30% 14.4oz
Olive 30% 14.4oz

H20 18.24oz
LYE 6.94oz

My scale only does 10'th of ounces how should I round the lye and water?

Man lye is expensive where do you all get it. If I order more then 2lbs from snowdrift farms I have to pay a $22.00 hazmat fee :( . I know that you cant get red devil anymore (sniff sniff I used to make my coke with this JUST KIDDING) is there any options I might wont to check on?

I plan to buy my lard locally and order the other oils (well after I double check prices locally). I also plan on ordering citric acid, Shea butter, bee's wax, plastic explosives, 40oz loaf pan, and maybe a random mold.

OOOHHHH OK one of the things I said I was going to order I cant get....Nore would I if I could.

I tweeted it a little, but your recipe is fine.

45% Lard
35% Olive
20% Coconut

--------------------
For your recipe

Water 18.2 = 1lb 2.2ozs
Lye 6.9ozs

Round off.

If you have an Ace Hardware store, you can buy it locally - Lye

smellitlikeitissoaps said:

I do but they said they don't have any. I will check with lowes and the other big hard ware store here in town. When I checked with ace the lady got really rude and said "NO!!!!!!!!!!" so I kind of think she thought I was asking for stuff to make drugs with. She might have just said no for this reasoning.

I will call around though. Should I just ask for lye or is there another name/product I should inquire about?

Jeremy said:
Isn't it Crystal Meth that's made with Lye???
But yeah, sounds like a start.
As for C4, one word Russia...lol

Well see how much I know about drugs!!!!!! I cant even get them strait.....Hold on I need to take another hit off the crack pipe.............LOL

I quit drugs when I was 18 and never looked back. I didn't do that much back then though so I never got hooked.

desert_gold_hound said:
smellitlikeitissoaps said:

I do but they said they don't have any. I will check with lowes and the other big hard ware store here in town. When I checked with ace the lady got really rude and said "NO!!!!!!!!!!" so I kind of think she thought I was asking for stuff to make drugs with. She might have just said no for this reasoning.

I will call around though. Should I just ask for lye or is there another name/product I should inquire about?

They all do, go to ace hardware website, you can purchase it online and have it sent to the store for pick up . you dont have to pay for shipping

You want to check the label and make certain that it actually says on the bottle 100% sodium hydroxide. When I first started, I bought 2# containers of Roebic Heavy Duty Crystal Drain Opener at Lowes for about $7.

hdcry.jpg

Heavy Duty Crystal Drain Opener contains 100% Sodium Hydroxide (caustic soda; lye) and clears tough clogs from pipes and drains. Heavy Duty Crystal Drain Opener destroys grease and other kitchen clogs and will keep drains clear.

Depending on where you are, it is available in different stores. At the Roebic web site, you can search for stores near by who carry it. http://www.roebic.com/links.htm

Digit

desert_gold_hound said:
My scale only does 10'th of ounces how should I round the lye and water?
In general, round the lye down and the water either up or down.

x

you might want to check with a local chemical supply store for lye. we have one about 40 miles from my house. it's usually available in 50# bags, which i put in 4 airtight plastic conatiners and leave in the garage. it's cheaper than having it shipped. dont quote me but i THINK i paid about $65.00 plus tax. that was over a year ago.

monet

I got 40 lbs last month from Boyer. It was only 88.22 including shipping.

Thats not a bad Idea but am glad I didn't do it this time. I will be doing my first few batches here soon and don't need that kinda bulk right now.

I will check into this here soon though.

Back