Spoiled Coconut Oil?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

QuanahRose

Reaction score
Today I opened a bucket of coconut oil (76 degree) that has been sitting on the garage shelf for a year. It was separated -- solid chunks floating in liquid oil. It smelled fine. I heated some up on a small dish and it still smelled find. The heated oil hardened and looks like coconut oil usually looks.

Is this oil spoiled?

If not, should I melt it all back together and return it to a solid state before using it?

Note -- this was the second of two buckets I purchased at the same time. I just finished the other bucket and it hadn't separated, although it sat next to the other one on the same shelf for the same period of time.

Thanks in advice for your information and advice.

What was the temperature in the garage? I had this happen with brand new coconut oil I had stored in my pantry. Apparently my pantry was around 76 degrees and half of it was melted

We had some very hot summer days in central Ohio and the garage almost certainly got hotter than 76 degrees on several of those days.

QuanahRose said:
Today I opened a bucket of coconut oil (76 degree) that has been sitting on the garage shelf for a year. It was separated -- solid chunks floating in liquid oil. It smelled fine. I heated some up on a small dish and it still smelled find. The heated oil hardened and looks like coconut oil usually looks.

Is this oil spoiled?

If not, should I melt it all back together and return it to a solid state before using it?

Note -- this was the second of two buckets I purchased at the same time. I just finished the other bucket and it hadn't separated, although it sat next to the other one on the same shelf for the same period of time.

Thanks in advice for your information and advice.

likely the temperature. coconut oil has a really long shelf life. you do not have to melt it together before using it (as you may need to with palm).

It's fine. Coconut oil, almost regardless of how it's stored, is extremely stable.

Latest posts

Back