Solid lotion bar ratio

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JewelsSuds

Reaction score
Good morning from FL. This is my first post, be gentle lol I do have a question regarding the 1/3 ratio. Is that 1/3 percent of each? So 1/3 oil, 1/3 butter and 1/3 percent wax? Or is this 1/3 cup? I've been making lotion bars for a few months, but I'd like to try this ratio. I apologize for the ignorance. I use the percentage calculator at WSP. So if its indeed 1/3 percent, that will be easy peasy! I just didn't understand when I seen Zing post 1/3 of each. Didnt know if it was cup or percent. Thankyou so much! And I look forward to being an active member🥰

Hi and welcome @JewelsSuds. 🌸
Percent, so you can easily size your batch up or down. Let us know what you use and post pics!
I follow @Zing’s recipe, too. I use 1/3 of Meadowfoam oil, mango butter and beeswax. 😊
Thankyou so much! I will definitely post! Here's some coffee bars I made, but it wasn't that ratio. I did however use Mango butter which is probably my all time favorite butter to use! I will use the WSP calc and do a 2 oz batch to fill a mold. I'll report back! It may be later today, as we're heading out in a few. But thankyou for the reply!

Attachments

• 20231002_205213.jpg
    20231002_205213.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 0
No need to apologize, we all start at the beginning.

All 'bath & body' recipes should be given in percentages so that it will always be the same whether you are making a one pound batch or a five pound batch. And all measurements should be by weight as opposed to volume as it is more accurate***. Now there are some exceptions to the latter. Oftentimes it is easier to measure by volume than ounce or gram...like colorants (mica, pigments, oxides, etc) or other additives like Sodium Lactate, Sugar, Salt, etc so you might see "1 tea PPO" in a recipe which means 1 teaspoon per pound of oils.

As for the Lotion Bars...when you are dividing by 3, that would be "33%", not "1/3 percent". Splitting hairs I know, but you want to be correct as not to be confusing.

*** - There are many discussions that grams are more accurate than ounces and while that is certainly true, go with what makes you comfortable. I use ounces because I'm too old to change my ways.

No need to apologize, we all start at the beginning.

All 'bath & body' recipes should be given in percentages so that it will always be the same whether you are making a one pound batch or a five pound batch. And all measurements should be by weight as opposed to volume as it is more accurate***. Now there are some exceptions to the latter. Oftentimes it is easier to measure by volume than ounce or gram...like colorants (mica, pigments, oxides, etc) or other additives like Sodium Lactate, Sugar, Salt, etc so you might see "1 tea PPO" in a recipe which means 1 teaspoon per pound of oils.

As for the Lotion Bars...when you are dividing by 3, that would be "33%", not "1/3 percent". Splitting hairs I know, but you want to be correct as not to be confusing.

*** - There are many discussions that grams are more accurate than ounces and while that is certainly true, go with what makes you comfortable. I use ounces because I'm too old to change my ways.
Thankyou! Yes, I meant to say 33 lol I have made some nice bars, just not that particular ratio. I make tons of soap, beard balms and whipped butters. The whole lotionbar or solid bar, is my new obsession! Lol

It’s on my list to make lotion bars this week, so this post is timely and helpful. Just received mango butter, so that’s what I’ll be using. 😊
Mango butter is so nice! I have 5 lbs of it currently. I just made a nice whipped butter for myself with it.

Attachments

• 20231004_191015.jpg
    20231004_191015.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 0
Okay so its 1130 here in Florida. I'm definitely one of those who can sleep 4 hours and be good lol Soooo I'm making test bars. I did the 33% of wax, butter and oil. It seemed too waxy for me. So I split the 33% wax portion in half, and did cocoa butter making it 33 percent total. Definitely better for my skin. The glide is awesome so far. With the full 33 percent wax, it was very catchy in my skin. Felt like I was rubbing a candle on myself lol I also used sweet almond, shea and Mango. Yep, daring lol I made a 1oz test bar. I'll melt it all down in the morning and add my arrow root and vitamin E to see how it feels. As of now, its not greasy on my skin. But I love arrow root, so definitely will give it a whirl! I have a craft fair this weekend, so I'll be making tons of beard balms and a few lotion bars to give as samples. I'll report back soon!

Good morning from FL. This is my first post, be gentle lol I do have a question regarding the 1/3 ratio. Is that 1/3 percent of each? So 1/3 oil, 1/3 butter and 1/3 percent wax? Or is this 1/3 cup? I've been making lotion bars for a few months, but I'd like to try this ratio. I apologize for the ignorance. I use the percentage calculator at WSP. So if its indeed 1/3 percent, that will be easy peasy! I just didn't understand when I seen Zing post 1/3 of each. Didnt know if it was cup or percent. Thankyou so much! And I look forward to being an active member🥰
My lotion bar is 33% (1/3) Coco butter, 33% coconut oil, and 33% bees wax. I use 97 degree coconut oil so the bars can stand up to the summer heat.

Latest posts

Back